Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Want to see (and learn) what DHTML can accomplish? Check out http://www.htmlguru.com. This is an awsome site! Download the tutorial (zipped archive) that you can run offline - all source code (html, Javascript, CSS, etc) is included. There is full source and DHTML templates available - all free (royalty free, too).

zitterbe
    IP

Want to see (and learn) what DHTML can accomplish? Check out http://www.htmlguru.com. This is an awsome site! Download the tutorial (zipped archive) that you can run offline - all source code (html, Javascript, CSS, etc) is included. There is full source and DHTML templates available - all free (royalty free, too).

zitterbe
    IP

Yep great site .. my boss bought the book a few months ago ... very nice stuff there! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

-------
    Kind Regards
    Some Crazy SA Gal
    IP

Hi zitterbe ...

Thanks for the great link!

Speaking of DHTML, I'm curious how long you(anyone) think it'll be before it can be used mainstream. I've played with it on my personal site but get so frustrated with the discrepancies between browsers that unless I know that 99.9% of the intended audience uses one or the other, I'm still holding back ... but oh! to be able to be done with javascript roll-overs!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

I remember using that as an example when I was teaching a few years back. Seems it hasn't changed much! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But that's okay, cuz like Jen said, not many people are really using DHTML to full advantage. Shame, too, cuz it's easy stuff, and pretty effective! Really quick rendering time, too. But yeah, cross-browser is annoying. My question is, with XML & SVG, Flash and the new capabilities of Shockwave, what's the big advantage to using DHTML? I mean, you still have to use JavaScript or some other scripting to control the elements, no? Don't get me wrong, I think the stuff is mondo cool, and I have no intention of stopping to use it for quick fixes/feature additions, but if I'm doing a project which allows me to use cool tools, I'm more likely to opt for one of the other options (depending on the target audience). Any opinions, anyone?

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

Deep said : <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My question is, with XML & SVG, Flash and the new capabilities of Shockwave, what's the big advantage to using DHTML?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The irony, of course, is that even though browser discrepancies still abound we are the closest we've ever been to Web Designer Nirvana - that being the majority of users viwing with the same browser version. And yet ... and yet, site design has reached a status quo - just go look at your favourite information site, chances are it has a banner at the top with links underneath (probably some form of tab) and 2-3 columns of short blurbs with links to 'MORE' information. Few commercial sites are taking chances anymore - we're further behind on the design curve than even 2 years ago!

I equate this with TV shows from the 60's - 70's that actually made an attempt to push the medium (don't get me wrong - I do NOT see the web as TV!) but once marketeers grab a hold it seems that the almighty dollar becomes the guiding force hence the swing to formulaic mediocrity.

DHTML, on the other hand, enhances all that is "web", in its purest form, the hypertext link. This is what sets the web apart from TV, from print, from radio, the ability to put complete choice into the viewer's hand, to further their experience should they wish to go in that direction.

Flash & Shockwave can certainly create an experience, visit http://www.theremediproject.com for a perfect example, and even though they may encourage side trips off the path, they are still a guided experience, subtle though they may be. With a pure HTML or DHTML page, the viewer has complete control on how much or how little information they choose to see simply by clicking their way through increasing levels - and without waiting for huge files to download!This, to my mind, is the advantage to DHTML over any plug-in application.

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP