Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please give advice on my logo design

Hey Guys! I am a novice graphic designer, and I just finished my first work for this website! I was wondering if you can give some advice on it. Please tell me what you thinkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	finalfinal.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	113163.

Default Re: Please give advice on my logo design

Hi huntbeachapp, nice clean design, but my first reaction was that you were in the roof repair and not the appliances repair.

Sorry

Roly

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Why not use the logo on the website?

(Formerly from nearby Palos Verdes)

OK, in looking at the logo and the WordPress pages, the following stand out.

You have a notch in the chimney.
    The resolution of the logo is poor.
    The wording differs from the WP title: the URL of the WP site is plural, the logo is too but the title is singular.
    The logo colours do not match the WP site.
    The font probably isn't the same.

A roof motif doesn't sell it.

The WP site still has Hello World.
    Search for a space and you can see the mix of Ca and CA.
    Get rid of the proudly powered...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'm sorry huntbeachapp, I thought you were looking for a critique on the logo at the right of your message. After reading the replies from Acorn and Gary I reread your message and saw that you meant website. (I then saw the link)

Sorry about that.

Ciao

Roly

Quote Originally Posted by roly View Post
    I'm sorry huntbeachapp, I thought you were looking for a critique on the logo at the right of your message. After reading the replies from Acorn and Gary I reread your message and saw that you meant website. (I then saw the link)
    Sorry about that.
    Ciao Roly
    I took it to be the juxtaposition of logo onto website.

@huntbeachapp - how did you compose your logo?

Acorn

P.S. welcome to TalkGraphics.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

here's a logo made with Xara Web Designer 365.
    I had to guess at the font.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HBAR.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	113168

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by huntbeachapp View Post
    Hey Guys! I am a novice graphic designer, and I just finished my first work for this website! I was wondering if you can give some advice on it. Please tell me what you thinkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	finalfinal.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	113163.
    huntbeachapp,

Although I am a bit late putting in my two cents worth about your design, I will try to give useful information that steers away from the technical side and stick to the attributes of marketing and what I feel most clients might seek in your work, mainly, because, I think, this is what you would like. So, here goes:

First of all let me point out the pros of your design. You have created a well thought out design that is both beautiful and clean. Since this is more of an "iconic" representation I will try to see it from the client's point of view. My best guess is that the light blue rectangle represents an appliance, maybe a refrigerator. The light blue dot is the consumer. And the dark blue of the design is, in fact, the roof of a house or home, with chimney. Great job! I feel you have a great thing going here. The "refrigerator" and consumer are both the color of the words "Huntington Beach". I think that implies that the consumer and the consumer product is somehow associated with the location called "Huntington Beach" and the rest of the rooftop is the same color as the words "Appliances Repair", implying Huntington Beach Appliances Repair (the company) helps "make a home a more livable place". Great job there too!

Now, for some ideas that might help you focus your design a little more the way you wish it to be. Logos generally fall into one of three kinds of trademarks, logos, icons and avatars. Logos are often just words or initials only (called logotype) with sometimes an abstract design to them. A logo is often in a style that makes the company look good to its investors. CoaCola, the banking industry and the oil refinery industry are some examples of logos. Icons, unlike logos, have pictures of something you CAN identify, like your image here. We can tell the dot represents a consumer. And the light blue/dark blue arch is the roof of a home, with chimney. Avatars, on the other hand, are images which can move, talk and communicate with the consumer, just think of Keebler's Elf, Aflac's Duck, Hamburger Helper's Helping Hand, Bar None's Top Dog Puppet, Gieco's Gecko, M&M's Candy Characters and Mr. Clean.

Ask yourself some tough questions: Who is your audience (investors and shareholders, company owner, or the end-user consumers)? Sometimes it's more than one audience. If in doubt ask the person who hires you. What is the goal or goals of your image (sometimes there is multiple goals)? What is the "mood" you wish to communicate? Is it fun, serious, cool, playful or something else? It can be more than one mood because people have mixed feelings about many things. Why does it matter about mood? Because when people are caused to have an emotion they become more susceptible to suggestion (i.e. buying what the image is trying to sell). And, finally, ask yourself: Can this image I am creating be shrunk down to put on a business card be legable? Can you still read it when it's small? Would the target audience be able to identify the company quickly because of its image, in other words, is it memorable?

These ideas will help you think more like a professional designer and since marketing operates at a higher level of abstraction than the technical stuff, feel free to study marketing for tips, tricks and ideas that will improve your designs more than the technical stuff you have to think about.

You have a wonderful iconic trademark there, huntbeachapp. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Mark321; 28 November 2016 at 09:23 AM.

@Mark123, it was kind to offer up your assessment.
    Since July the OP's site has been fallow and we have had no further engagement.

Acorn

Looks clean and nice, but may not read correctly in small sizes