Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Warning message: You have at least one button with both a link and a menu

I feel I need to give you a bit of my background: I recently installed Xara Web Designer 11 Premium, after using Dreamweaver (many years ago) and taking several college courses and working on websites on my own, this was in the early 1990's. I recently got back into working on a website for a group I belong to, and I'm having problems. Things have changed a LOT since the 1990's. First, I downloaded a Coffeecup product that has been discontinued, so I switched to Xara, which has been working fairly well and I've got a basic website design figured out so far. So as you can tell, I'm not a person who does this for a living and what website design/HTML knowledge I have is very old. Things have changed with the era of smartphones and tablets, which brings me to my problem. (BTW-I have searched the Xara website support area and many YouTube videos looking for an answer, which brought me here.)

Here's the problem I'm running into. I've got 2 tabs that I want to set up sub-menus for: News and Investigations. I want to be able to have years set up under both of these tabs (2016, 2015, 2014, etc), with separate pages for each 2016. The problem is that when I try to add a sub-menu to the News tab for 2015, Xara gives me this: Warning: You have at least one button with both a link and a menu. On touch-only devices, visitors to your site won't be able to use the menu, because touching the button will invoke the button link. Therefore it is recommended that you don't have links on buttons that have menus. Right now, when a person clicks on the main News menu, I have it set up to load the 2016 news--which is the page where I'm getting this message. I want to make sure people on phones and tablets are able to get to the sub-menu for the other pages under News and Investigations. I'm thinking that maybe I should just set up a News menu, then the person can select the correct year under the sub-menu for that tab (2016, 2015, etc). Am I thinking correctly?

Can anyone please give me some advice on how to fix this issue? Thanks in advance for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Warning message: You have at least one button with both a link and a menu

Instead of "I want to be able to have years set up under both of these tabs (2016, 2015, 2014, etc), with separate pages for each 2016," I meant to say "I want to be able to have years set up under both of these tabs (2016, 2015, 201, etc) with separate pages for each tab (not 2016)." Sorry. Tks.

Default Re: Warning message: You have at least one button with both a link and a menu

What you need to do is remove any link the the menu item News might have, in other words, set it to do nothing.
    Then create all the years you want and add their links.
    The 2016 link then goes to the one which the News used to go to.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn!

Yeah, that is really confusing. Sometimes a menu is not a page but a link to a list of options (as you have set up) so as my esteemed colleague suggests, remove the link from the menu item with the list.

Yes--the suggestion Acorn gave me did the trick! Thanks so much for your comment/reply gwpriester!