Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: General FTP error

Acorn,

Okay, I get it. The website isn't all that large, plus I have the feature turned on to publish only the "newer" files (i.e. the ones I changed or added) so the weekly upload generally takes about 1.5 minutes, most of which is the 12 MB mp3 file. That also means that already published files (that have not been changed) are not "trashed"). The only reason I lost my site, is because in an effort to see what was actually happening, I deleted all the files, and then attempted to republish them. That is when I realized that the General FTP error was halting the publishing before any of the html files got published.

David

Paul,

I was trying to answer Acorn's questions "in line" and used a different color to separate his questions from my answers. No way to clearly tell from that tiny square color selector just how "electric" the blue color is, and the editor doesn't show the colors until you send the reply. At that point it was way too much work to change the color. Besides: why does this amount of clarity bother you?
    Acorn asked a lot of questions (note all the lines in black), and for some of them the answer was not brief. Since my initial "brevity" and leaving out stuff gave rise to additional questions by Acorn, it seemed appropriate to be very clear. Again: why does that bother you? I will admit that being verbose is an occupational hazard (I am a pastor), but I really don't see why answering a long list of questions to the best of my ability is such a problem for you?

David

David, it's just a question of spotting a tree in a small copse or spotting a tree whilst having a whole forest described, in detail, with thoughts on the life story of each tree.

A lot of text isn't the same as clarity.

I'm a little harsh perhaps, but focussed facts are better when it comes to finding out where problems are.

It would have taken little time to tone back the colour.

Anyway, I think the MP3 transfer was the root of the problem (not sure why).

If you want to make your responses clear without colour, try using bold type for questions, plain text for your response

Have you now got Web Designer 10?
    I have Web Designer 10 Online World Edition.

Are you using it to build and maintain your website design?
    Yes, I use WD10 OWE to build and maintain my website.

Do you Export locally to a folder?
    No, I open the saved WEB file (from WD10 OWE) in P&GD10 and publish it from there (as mentioned).

Do you then use Core FTP LE to upload your local files to the server?
    As mentioned, I used to use Core FTP LE to upload exported html files and all the other files to the server. But something changed in October '15 which apparently no longer allowed that. I asked Magix repeatedly what went awry, but get no answer, but was given a solution (which you don't seem to believe).

And that could have been..

I am using Web Designer 10 Online World Edition. I open the saved WEB file (from WD10 OWE) in P&GD10 and publish it from there, using Core FTP LE to upload exported html files and all the other files to the server.

Anyway let's not fall out and good luck!

Paul

Or use the Quote tag

Have you now got Web Designer 10?
    I have Web Designer 10 Online World Edition.

Are you using it to build and maintain your website design?
    Yes, I use WD10 OWE to build and maintain my website.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Or use the Quote tag
    Yes, but I didn't wish to have to explain about editing the quote tags.

I prefer the bold approach.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I prefer the bold approach.
    Since your raise this issue, I wish you would use quote tags because with your bold approach it is not always immediately clear whose post you're responding to.

it is not always immediately clear whose post you're responding to.

It doesn't necessarily matter who made the comment or asked a question. It's not that hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It doesn't necessarily matter who made the comment or asked a question. It's not that hard to tell.
    I have a different experience and, as I value your posts, thought to let you know.

We won't fall out about it!

Wink Re: General FTP error

I prefer the
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    Acorn, you're brilliant!
    A short and pithy Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat