Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wotsitsname?

Default Wotsitsname?

I drew this shape, the sort of thing that one might well find used as a beer bottle label.
    Two things, does it have a name? It's not a circle or an ovoid, but some clever person on the forum might know and share their knowledge.
    Secondly, you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to draw precisely, despite using Xara's guides and snapping.
    The hardest part was adding a line to the shape that did not show that I'd used three shapes in making this thingy.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shape.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	113062  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Wotsitsname?

I don't know of an agreed term that is particular to this shape. I would describe it as 'capsular' or 'capsule-like'.

That's the best I could come up with too. I uploaded the shape to google images but it returned no results. I'll try Tin Eye and see if they have anything.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I just searched Tineye and got Your image is too simple to create a unique fingerprint.

Bob.

Hi, see the following link, they call it a stadium https://owlcation.com/stem/Names-of-...l#slide8304660

Ciao

Roly

it is an oval in geometric terminology - ovals can have straight parallel sides - the criteria for oval is that it is oblong-shaped but has no pointed corners

You could also look on it as being a segment of a 3D sphere [truncated]... I have seen it described mathematically as a 'truncated circle'...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think we're looking for a more precise term - Oval is to Capsule, as Rectangle is to Square kind of thing.

You play/follow cricket?

no - it is an oval - the perfectly symmetric [in one plane] 'egg shape' is a special case [not that real eggs are perfectly symmetric] - if you want to look for a special name it should be the special case that has one, oovoid maybe?
    Nothing lasts forever...

We're looking for the special case where an Ovoid has two, and only two, straight edges opposite each other..

oval as opposed to ellipse - will that do?
    Nothing lasts forever...