Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I, and I'm sure like a number of other people, was bowled over by William Clegg's Orchid in Morning Sun, and got to wondering about how to generate painting type textures in Xara X. After some experimentation with bitmap transparencies I came up with this. I would love to hear/see any other ideas people might have about achieving that painter effect.

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small_flowers.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	1709  

I, and I'm sure like a number of other people, was bowled over by William Clegg's Orchid in Morning Sun, and got to wondering about how to generate painting type textures in Xara X. After some experimentation with bitmap transparencies I came up with this. I would love to hear/see any other ideas people might have about achieving that painter effect.

Brian

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Hi Brian, Attached is a design I posted once before. Although I'm not into groovy tie-die stuff I ratherliked its paint-like effect, achieved with xara's powerful blend and clone tools.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	paintlikeblend.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	8367  

Hi Brian I really like your image and wouldn't mind knowing a little bit more how you did it. This one I have done is my second attempt at a watercolour in xara. It would be great to be able to paint in this program as well as it draws.
    Take care Tao Jones

Name:	new_water.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	1590  

Hi Ross, I like your effect too, I must try it out. Do you find its easy to control the effect or is it random ?

Tao, I love the sky in your "watercolour". The delicate transparancy you have both achieved makes me think of pen and ink outlines with applied washes - if only I didn't have some work to do this afternoon. Nevermind, I'll have a go over the weekend.

The "techniques" I used are probably well known to everyone already but I worked them out from scratch. In the example there are three "techniques" but all involving bitmap transparencies. I'll break them down and post them separately.

Brian