Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Okies, One More Question ...

I want to move the page background 20 pixels south of the absolute top of the browser. I found that I can click on the page background and assign it to be 20 pixels down in the Y axis and it looks great.

It looks great until I edit ANYTHING on the page. Then it moves back to the 0 Y position.

It makes no difference if I've locked the page background or not. I was hoping to also have a 20 pixel border at the bottom of the page, but I know for a certainty that without a bit of wizardry that isn't going to happen either as each time I try to "shorten" the page background, all I'm actually doing is moving it up.

As I'm sitting here typing this post, the page that is open in XWD just changed on its own. No longer is is 20 pixels lower, it is at the absolute top of the page.

Did a search on the forum, nothing.

Checked the program's documentation, but apparently there is no option to place a border around the page background.

I'm using an image for the site background, and have it set to fill browser page, so I would really like to be able to have a clear border at the top and bottom of all pages.

Can it be done? Sorry, I know it can be done, but how do you make it stay?

Default Re: Okies, One More Question ...

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but you can try increasing the page orignin Y value in the "Grid and Ruler" options.

That works great ... UNTIL YOU EDIT ANYTHING ON THE PAGE. (No, I'm not yelling. Very old typing habits from before the days of computers die hard - that is how we used to EMPHASIZE what we were saying.)

Then you get to go through the entire site and reset it for each and every page all over again.

The 'fill browser page' is the culprit I think.

What if you take your picture, add the borders at the top and bottom with shapes.

Then select all 3 objects and create a bitmap copy. Use this new object as your background as before.

I hope that does the trick.

Ok, here is what I'm playing with. Just getting started, VERY VERY VERY long way to go. Some items will go, others will be getting added as it goes down the line. Still unsure about how I want to do the navigation --- will probably end up going with a "hamburger" type menu to keep the mobile users happy. Did I mention I hate smart phones????

Background displays correctly here: http://www.ahgweb.com/wsf1/index.htm

You'll notice there is a 20 pixel border at the top of the page, and a shadow effect around it.

When I got ready to upload the site last time, I missed resetting this page when I completed editing the "rental terms" page:

http://www.ahgweb.com/wsf1/pickup.htm

One more item .... on the page background, applying the drop shadow effect is quite inconsistent. I manually set the values on every page, but the visual results vary between pages when published.

The settings used for the shadow tool are: Blur = 25 pixels, Transparency = 20%, X = 0, y = 0.

Occasionally, I'll have to re-upload the site because the background jumps (moves several pixels) left or right sometimes. This is not present on the current upload, and I don't move the page background. The problem resolves itself on the next upload usually.

I looked at your site. Customer Pickup seems to be the only one that displays correctly.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Actually the others display mostly correctly. Each one should have a border at the top above the page background rectangle. Customer pickup does not have that border above.

All are supposed to have shadow around them ... although the shadows are varied when they should not be.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchim View Post
    The 'fill browser page' is the culprit I think.

What if you take your picture, add the borders at the top and bottom with shapes.

Then select all 3 objects and create a bitmap copy. Use this new object as your background as before.

I hope that does the trick.
    Too much manipulation to have problems with. Program isn't handling a simple matter in the way (I think) it should.

When I say: "Stay here", even my kid listens and stays where I say. When I tell a program to locate an item at X and Y, it should stay ... shouldn't it?

Dijenga, I'm not sure why you're having these issues without seeing your web/xar file.

Try this.

1: Give the Page & Pasteboard the same fill colour.
    2: Utilities / Options / Page Size / Uncheck "Show Page Shadow"
    3: Now on the MouseOff Layer, create a rounded rectangle, just smaller than the page background. Ctrl+B to send it to the back.
    4: Convert to editable shape and give it a glow shadow.
    4: Duplicate this page. Resize the page length as requird (Note you may need to repeat step 2)
    5: Select the 4 nodes at the bottom of the background shape, and use Shift+up/down arrows to fit new page length.
    6: Repeat.

I attach an example. The pasteboard/page backgrounds use a named colour. Just adjust this to change all pages. The ex-rounded rectangle shape on the Mouse Off Layer is also a named colour.

EDIT: Some pages are longer than required. This is deliberate, so scroll bars remain, otherwise pages without scroll bars jump horizontally.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Lwt's have another go then.

Which method have you been trying?

Offsetting the top of your page

Normally if you just set the page and pasteboard to different colors, when you preview you'll see that the page extends right to the top of the browser window. You can't see any of the pasteboard color above your page. However you can add an offset so that there is some space above your page in the web browser.
    To add an offset, you change the page origin. Normally the page origin is set to be the top left corner of your page. By moving the origin up 20 pixels, for example, you add a 20 pixel margin to the top of your page when it's viewed in a web browser.
    You can change the origin in two ways. The easiest way is to open the "Utilities" > "Options" dialog (or right click a page and choose Page Options), go to the Grid & Ruler tab and increase the value of the Y coordinate of the origin point. This is normally set to the vertical size of your page, so just increase it by the margin size you would like. So for example if your page is 700 pixels tall, change the Y value of the origin coordinate from 700 to 720, in order to add a 20 pixel offset.
    Alternatively you can set the origin point interactively. Turn rulers on by right clicking and choosing "Show Grid/Guides" > "Show Rulers" or by choosing Show rulers from the Window menu ("Ctrl + L"). Then click and drag on the crosshairs button, which is located where the horizontal and vertical rulers join, at the top left of the canvas. Now you are dragging around the origin position, so position it the appropriate distance vertically above the top left corner of your page.
    Changing the horizontal position of the origin has no effect on the horizontal positioning of your page, so this should be left unchanged.
    I have tried both and added objects and pages all stay put.
    Each new page, when added has to be set up afresh.
    If you copy an existing page, its setting remain.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat