Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default identify and extract header and footer code from browser page source view

Hello,

I have been learning Xara for about a month (reading , practicing, videos) and I'm in the process of redesigning an existing website to include a new look with support for RWD.
    I'm a former DW user that "was" able to beat my way thru and make changes to maintain my site (limited HTML skill set), after a few years of inactivity Dreamweaver now makes me dizzy. I explored and purchased Xara Designer Pro 11 and I really like the product thus far.

I would appreciate any assistance offered.

My most pressing need is locating from the 'page source' the html code that references header and footer. I use a third party service (idxbroker) that provides widgets and builds "link pages" ...they will use the header and footer code to build "wrappers" for any "link pages" created. I view and search the page source from browser and NEVER find any reference to the word footer?? At some point during design and testing i thought i saw a reference to "footer"...but maybe not!

Environment:
    new site (test) is www.michaelsealy.com, original site that will be replaced is sealyproperties.com

www.michaelsealy.com created with xara, -home page has grouped repeating header, three nav bars two of which i created, all graphics at bottom of page have been grouped, repeating, page positioned as a footer and group is push top 25px & bottom 5 px of page end. The slide show on home page is a placeholder for third third party slideshow widget. Testimonial page is with text panels and seems to work and push the page down when new text is added.

The third party service provider will only locate and extrapolate the the header and footer code (aka a template) for the wrappers once... so i need to be able to do this myself for future changes.

All of the links have not been established, but if you click on i.e "featured properties" you will see a page that is created by the service provider using my existing sealyproperties.com website header and footer info... until i place the new "wrapper" code in production.

The site is still very much under construction , i didn't use a template because i want to learn the product and build my own. Work will continue on white space, margins , balance of look & feel etc... so any critique or tips are welcomed! I have yet to begin seriously customizing the mobile variant other than a header, a temp place holder and footer.

Thank you in advance if you decide to take a look!

Default Re: identify and extract header and footer code from browser page source view

Xara doesn't produce code for headers and footers as such.

The footer you may have seen is right-click an Object and then select Position on Page > Footer.
    The object is not marked as such on publish; it is only a Xara design construct.

I do not see how the flagging will work but you clear have an idea.

All I can suggest is on each page, highlight the set of objects that define your "header" and soft group them.
    Then give this group a special Name of htmlclass=header, using Utilities > Names...
    Do the some with htmlclass=footer for your "footer".

Then have a look at the source code and see if this is pulling back the information you need.

Good luck with what your building but it looks like you actually need to embed a Content Management System.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: identify and extract header and footer code from browser page source view

Thanks Acorn, i will investigate using "Names" under utilities as you suggest. However, the third party provider (idxbroker) i mentioned in original post "is" the content management system provider. They host the real estate Multiple Listing Data & I must somehow determine a way to do this as hosting the content is way out of scope for me. I managed to figure it out with existing site created with DW... I'm a little apprehensive now as you mention Xara doesn't produce code for headers and footers as such, so we'll see what happens.

I decided to redesign my site because the back-end content management system is changing and all my links will be 301 redirected, so I thought it would be a good time to build a new web presence with new cname for subdomain change. I have just only a few weeks left to complete the switch to new system before old system is cut off. I feel a headache coming on!

Thank you for the feedback

Welcome SP1.

I use a third party service (idxbroker) that provides widgets and builds "link pages" ...they will use the header and footer code to build "wrappers" for any "link pages" created.
    Never used any of these link building services so I can't comment on their effectiveness or otherwise.

That said it should be possible to add your idxbroker Header and Footer within an iframe. How this effects the SEO I can't comment. You need to contact idx for this type of information.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg,
    I'm hoping to avoid a framed solution. At the moment... I'm piecing the site back together again since in my infinite wisdom I hastily ungrouped, grouped again & again etc. and apparently repeated and repeated objects on all pages - lol. Nice.

I really like this product, however coming from Adobe PS & DW, it's quite the change; different terminology and tool behavior etc... I'm gonna walk it thru with a clean start & organize the objects a little better... then deal with the footer/header situation. I dunno. I'm hoping after I get it rearranged/organized again I/we/they/someone can help figure out how to extract what's needed to build a wrapper for content... I assume. Didn't want to get into html any deeper, my brain doesn't have the bandwidth it once had, don't wanna have to try and redesign a new site with Adobe... done with them and all their cloud product lease agreements. Xara shipped the box, with cd & well written manual and good help text. So... onward!

Thanks again.

....my brain doesn't have the bandwidth it once had
    Not sure mine ever did
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm going to put all the html from a source page in an editor & delete the content i don't want to be displayed when link pages are built, change all the links to absolute & trial and error until I get it right. Yeah, that's the plan lol!

Thanks & I'll let you know what happens.