Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: HOW TO CLOSE POP UP WHEN LEAVING PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    Egg, thank you for clarifying.
    Bob, maybe we still don't understand what exactly you want to do. Could you upload an example?

Egg-Siran:

Gentleman, first, I thank you both for your sincere efforts to help
    and for the detailed explanations in doing so. It was much appreciated!

HAPPY TO REPORT I managed to get it working AND found the error of my ways!

Yesterday, prior to Egg's further detailed explanation, I did indeed understand the
    beauty of Siran's location.hash property etc., and put the codes in place. However,
    in testing it wouldn't proceed to the target page but it did indeed SHOW the target
    address in the browser bar. It was driving me crazy!*!

This morning, something dawned on me (so to speak), and I checked my
    buttons on the index page that call the pop-ups. WHAT I HAD DONE was when setting
    the popup link on each of those buttons, I had ALSO gone into pop-up settings FROM THERE
    and set the effect on each to slide-in....RATHER...than leaving them INSTANT!

I saw this morning
    in Egg's clarifying display that the EFFECT of sliding in was simply an animation REVEAL on the popup layers.

So, I changed everything to that method and lo and behold, it WORKED as it should!

Gents, thank you both ever so much for your time and sincere efforts to help!
    Now, I can keep my site as a supersite and enjoy the crossfades between pages.

I suppose as Egg would say, Good on ya mates!

Be good lads!

Best regards, Bob

Glad to of helped, Bob
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Wasn't the original question actually a bug?

No Paul. Bob was using a supersite, so when the pop-up was opened and the image inside was clicked to go to a part of the site further down the page, the pop-up didn't close.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Why shouldn't it close, is the question.

In what circumstances would you wish to move away (ie the pop-up goes out of sight) from that area of the page, yet leave something popped up over it?

I think for a supersite this should be an optional behaviour for each pop-up.

Paul

I have various buttons on the index page that call popups, which are rectangle cards with text on them that slide into the live area.
    Each card then has the option for more information. People click the card and it takes them to a separate and specific page of the site. I use a crossfade going to separate pages.

Once on the target page, I would click home but DIDN'T want to see that popup card on the index page when returning. The location.hash property and other java enabled it to close when clicked.

Whether that's a bug or not is beyond my scope of understanding and will leave that for the others more savvy. I just posted this so you have a better idea of the dynamics.

Why shouldn't it close, is the question.
    Because nothings closing it. Normally clicking outside the pop-up closes it, but that doesn't happen in the manner Bob was using it.

In what circumstances would you wish to move away (ie the pop-up goes out of sight) from that area of the page, yet leave something popped up over it?
    I can't think of any, but that doesn't make it a bug. I'd like to see animations that "slide off page" but the lack of the same doesn't make it a bug.
    Egg

Thanks Bob.

I just think in some circumstances people would expect the pop-up to go, in others to stay.

On balance I think the usual behaviour is for the pop-up to go.

Paul

Egg, sematicaly it's a pop-over associated with a page (even if it's actually a region in a tall page). It's fairly natural to think that when that page (or region) is revisited then it will have reverted to the initial state of that page (without any user shenanigans).

The behaviour is inconsistent between 'real' page navigation and intra-page navigation.

You'd consider it a bug if a web page opened with a pop-up still active from the last visit.

In fact a conventional site also leaves the pop-up open when navigating to a different page or even site. When you hit the browser back button on that page the previous page is shown with the pop-up open (even if the close pop-up automatically option is set). At least that was the case in FireFox. I personally found that quite irritating.