Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default HOW TO CLOSE POP UP WHEN LEAVING PAGE

Hi-

Using Designer Pro 11 and have a group of buttons that open various
    pop ups of information on the INDEX page.

I use the actual popups to be buttons whereas when clicked, the user finds more
    info about that particular subject on a specific page.

NOW, when the user has navigated away from the index (home) page and returns
    home, I don't want them to see that pop up they had clicked. In other words, the
    page appears as when first visited.

In searching online I've seen various types of code and some suggest unloading the
    whole page etc. but it would be nice if JUST the POPUP unloaded when navigating off
    so all the elements on the page have to be reloaded. (i.e. slower connections)

It seems like it would be easy to do this but alas, "seems" is the operative word for this lad.

HOPE someone has done this before or can provide a fix.

And in advance....I thank you!

Bob

Default Re: HOW TO CLOSE POP UP WHEN LEAVING PAGE

You can link to something like this:
    Code:
    javascript:xr_ppc(xr_xpul.id);location='http://www.talkgraphics.com/';
    but keep in mind this uses internal Xara code and variable which might stop working when installing a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    You can link to something like this:
    Code:
    javascript:xr_ppc(xr_xpul.id);location='http://www.talkgraphics.com/';
    but keep in mind this uses internal Xara code and variable which might stop working when installing a patch.
    Siran-

Thanks for your suggestion but it's not the linking
    part I'm having a problem with but having the popup itself,
    "which IS acting like a button" not be there when returning
    to the index page that it's on. In other words, I'd like the
    INDEX page to be like it is when first opening WITHOUT
    any PopUps having been activated.

I appreciate the input though. Thanks!

I may not understand your question correctly, but I just tried a simple two page site (ATTACHED) with a pop up on one page and when I leave the page and then return the pop up layer is automatically closed. Also the pop-up is automatically closed when the visitor clicks the page.

You can use a MouseOver (Web Animation > Mouse Over > Show Pop-up Layer) which will make the pop-up appear as soon as the visitor mouses over the buttons and disappear as soon as the visitor moves away from the button.

Am I missing something?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I may not understand your question correctly, but I just tried a simple two page site (ATTACHED) with a pop up on one page and when I leave the page and then return the pop up layer is automatically closed. Also the pop-up is automatically closed when the visitor clicks the page.

You can use a MouseOver (Web Animation > Mouse Over > Show Pop-up Layer) which will make the pop-up appear as soon as the visitor mouses over the buttons and disappear as soon as the visitor moves away from the button.

Am I missing something?
    Gary, thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciated.

I have separate buttons that "link to a specific popup layer each with its own image. (I use a slide in effect)
    On any popup image that appears, I then added a link to an internal page on it to see more info...which then takes
    them to that "page". Then when on that target page, let's say I click the home button to return to the index where
    the pop up was.

When I return, that popup that was opened, is still there. Sorry if I didn't explain better.
    Know what I mean now? I'm trying to return to the index and have it appear as when first opening. (without popups visible)

MANY THANKS for taking the time! Bob

OK. Open the attached XAR file and preview the website.

When you click on the small pizza it opens a pop-up layer. Click the big pizza and it links to Page 2.

On Page 2 click the link at the top for page one (the index page) and the pop-up should be closed when you return?

If it is not, can you tell us what browser you are using. Mobile or desktop.

Because on my computer, the pop up opens, the link to page 2 works from the pop up and then the pop up is closed when I return.

OK. Open the attached XAR file and preview the website.

When you click on the small pizza it opens a pop-up layer. Click the big pizza and it links to Page 2.

On Page 2 click the link at the top for page one (the index page) and the pop-up should be closed when you return?

If it is not, can you tell us what browser you are using. Mobile or desktop.

Because on my computer, the pop up opens, the link to page 2 works from the pop up and then the pop up is closed when I return.

Gary-

I got to the problem AREA at least. I've got my export settings to Supersite and NOT conventional
    and am using a CROSSFADE.

I switched it back to a conventional setting which is instant of course and tested it as the way you did.
    YES, the popup was gone when returning.

WITH THAT SAID....I wonder if there's some code that code be used when using a supersite setting
    with the crossfade or any other for that matter. That's why nothing I tried was working.

Maybe a code guru could find a way? Or maybe you are one in same.

Thoughts? Anyone? Or is it impossible because of the supersite set up?

MANY THANKS AGAIN GARY FOR TAKING THE TIME!

Bob

Hi Bob

You can accomplish a similar site just using a longer page but still use a conventional website setting. This way you can have you specific product pages.

Another option is a pop up layer over the pop up layer with more information.

Hi Bob

You can accomplish a similar site just using a longer page but still use a conventional website setting. This way you can have you specific product pages.

Another option is a pop up layer over the pop up layer with more information.

Yep, considered that. I do like that crossfade effect though but I've noticed with some of those the nav bar buttons can become
    inoperable at times. I think because of all the layouts I've already done I'll stay with this format but as a conventional site.
    It looked so pretty fading but, I'd rather have the popup graphics gone when returning moreso than aesthetics.

Tech's a trade off...

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT AND SUGGESTIONS...

Best regards, Bob

Does this do what you want Bob. It uses 'on mouse over' and closes automatically. It's a super site and crossfades. NB There are white rectangles to match the background, behind the images on the pop-ups to ensure the mouse-over remains open.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host