Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Keywords / meta tags syntax

Hello.

I have some simple questions about keywords / metatags.

1. Are they the same thing? If not, how do they differ?

2. Do you separate the words with a comma (wedding, cakes, Yosemite) or run them all together (Yosemite wedding cakes)?

3. Should they be one word long, or can you use two or more words in one meta tag? (Yosemite weddings, Yosemite wedding cakes) If the latter, do you separate the phrases with a comma, or do you put the phrases in quotes, or something else?

I read here that Google stopped using meta tags years ago. Is this still the case?

Thank you.

Default Re: Keywords / meta tags syntax

Meta tags are mostly defunct.

They should be comma seperated. Words can be included within meta tags, so Yosemite weddings, Yosemite wedding cakes would be fine.

Keywords basically lay within the text content of your site. So place these within your page, like "We are suppliers of Wedding Cakes in the Yosemite area" or similar. The style also has a bearing on the keywords importance to SEO, such that the above would be better in H1 than H3 etc, but don't overdo this.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It sounds like meta tags would be redundant if the text on the site contains all the meta tag words. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Yes, for all intents & purpose I don't think meta tags are of any consequence at all.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm not sure how short the keyword sentences need to be. Would this be okay, or should it be shortened:

"We are suppliers of wedding cakes, cupcakes, birthday cakes and other desserts in the Yosemite area, including Oakhurst, Mariposa and Fresno. Custom desserts for special events and other festive occasions."

Is it best to have this type of general description at or near the top of the homepage, or can it be anywhere on the homepage?

Thanks.