Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How Designer Pro uses multi-threading

For the record, Designer Pro improves performance by using multi-threading (the extra "cores" and "hyperthreads" provided by your Intel chip) in these areas:

Rendering - complex drawings are drawn faster
    Magnetic Lasso
    Background erase
    Content-aware photo resize
    Feathering

and probably a few other functions that I haven't examined in detail.

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 31 May 2016 at 07:20 AM.

Default Re: How Designer Pro uses multi-threading

To be honest, it saddens me to see that even a developer would have to examine it at all to find this out? I would hope that you would either already know it or you could look it up in your documentation?

Frans

I was just trying to be helpful and make a positive contribution...

As a developer, the source code is the most familiar and direct source of information for me. I would argue that you should be more disappointed if I had to go to secondary documentation to find things out!

Phil

thanks for this phil

I would imagine it helps too with multi-pass photographic bitmap tracing, and maybe manipualtiom of complex objects when extruding [two areas I was going to suggest in another thread which is now closed]

@itsfransie - no one can hold everything in their head all the time; knowing where to look to find out is as good as knowing, for things you don't deal with everyday - engineers are cautious and tend not to rely on memory, least those I work with certainly don't
    Last edited by handrawn; 31 May 2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: gramma
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A timely post Phil!

I agree with handrawn itsfransie, Xara software has been developed over a considerable time and by more than one developer so having a look at the code is not a bad thing at all.

Philm is being helpful here.

Phil, it would be interesting to see comparative stats or graphs showing the difference.

I was curious enough back in 2013 to do a quick, non-scientific test comparing the then current versions of PGD and the multi-core DPX.

For my test I created a group of 16,000 ellipses (a large enough number to take time to measure!), then timed how long it took to clone the group in each programme. By reviewing the CPU usage history in Windows task manager, it seemed that DPX appeared to balance the load between the two cores more evenly and less time to complete the task. This was estimated by the fact activity spiked and finished earlier in the usage history graph (below).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpu.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	112819

The difference was not perhaps as much as I was hoping for in normal day-to-day usage, but I was testing with a basic duel core processor with a limited amount of RAM. Where it did make a noticeable difference (smoother rendering) was when dragging a complex 3D shape about the page.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

That should of said 'dual-core' processor, not 'duel core' in my post above. Maybe your avatar got me thinking of duels.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Thanks Phil for the information,

I like(d) very much the Designer Pro X11, the slightly past time is only because for sure will switch to the newest version when that comes out

Hi Phil, This is actually a question I've had in my head for a while, so thanks for sharing.