Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New Magnetic Lasso Tool in Photo & Graphic Designer 365

A friend who should know better posted this photo (original.jpg) on Facebook. It was so obviously a composite of two photos. So I decided to show how something like this can easily be faked.

Normally I create a mask shape using the Shape Tool, and fill it with a photo.

But I decided to try the new Magnetic Lasso Tool (Alt + F5) in Photo & Graphic Designer 365. Wow! is all I can say. It did such a splendid job of determining the outline of the cave that I had the mask shape created in under 30 seconds. [Drag the Freehand Region Tool with the Magnetic Lasso icon selected and just click points about 1/8" apart and the lasso automatically changes to fit the shape.]

I added a stock photo (which I have a license to use) of the Arc de Triomphe to my mask shape, applied a pixel and a half of feathering, and then added a Linear transparency to reveal the water in the photo below.

The Magnetic Lasso Tool is awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	112814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bogus II.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	112815  

Default Re: New Magnetic Lasso Tool in Photo & Graphic Designer 365

Thanks Gary, it is very inspiring.

In the new functions read this for PGD and looked as something long waited, let me check it in the new Designer Pro when comes out Before of anything that is good news that you see it as awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    A friend who should know better posted this photo (original.jpg) on Facebook. It was so obviously a composite of two photos. So I decided to show how something like this can easily be faked.

Normally I create a mask shape using the Shape Tool, and fill it with a photo.

But I decided to try the new Magnetic Lasso Tool (Alt + F5) in Photo & Graphic Designer 365. Wow! is all I can say. It did such a splendid job of determining the outline of the cave that I had the mask shape created in under 30 seconds. [Drag the Freehand Region Tool with the Magnetic Lasso icon selected and just click points about 1/8" apart and the lasso automatically changes to fit the shape.]

I added a stock photo (which I have a license to use) of the Arc de Triomphe to my mask shape, applied a pixel and a half of feathering, and then added a Linear transparency to reveal the water in the photo below.

The Magnetic Lasso Tool is awesome!
    Pretty cool, but I'd also add a colorizing filter feathered on the opening of the cave to 'homogenize' the colors. Attached is example:

I didn't do a quick clean cut like yours, still using v11 and am kinda busy, but this helps close the uncanny valley. I used elliptical transparency with COLOR selected and sampled the water color. It probably would look a lot better maybe using customized shapes or blending of shapes with the color...but alas, I decided to take the 30 second challenge and this is what happened! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testset.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	112818

Looks good Gary and nice touch hseiken. I'd like to see a video of the new lasoo in action. I remember there used to be an edge snapping method before for cutting out but it wasn't very nice to use or good for finer details like hair. The background eraser+masking method in v11 is pretty good in most scenarios so hopefully this still exists.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Nice demonstration Gary. I've not used any 365 features yet. I've always felt a quick select tool would be useful to paint in and out region selections on bitmaps, like many pixel editors have, to make a mask shape. Particularly if it's a more complex (large perimeter) but contiguous shape. Some clips (e.g. first half of this one) of it being used on an (appropriate) image show a selection can be made in a few seconds. Maybe the region painter or something will have this capability in the future.