Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How to prevent Xara from “optimizing” bitmap on paste?

ok well as it is a screenshot maybe setting xara utilities/options/view tab to 'import all photos at 96dpi (1:1 at 100% zoom}' would be best - worth a try
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok well as it is a screenshot maybe setting xara utilities/options/view tab to 'import all photos at 96dpi (1:1 at 100% zoom}' would be best - worth a try
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it does not work. The pasted image is still too small. Weird.

pity
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Why not "ViewCaptureToFile". This option seems to allow you to save the bitmap in different formats:

Steps
    Choose the location, file type, and name for the bitmap file.
    BMP, JPG, PCX, PNG, TIFF, and TGA formats are supported.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Why not "ViewCaptureToFile".
    Slows down workflow. Just copying and pasting is simpler. That being said, ViewCaptureToFile does offer some additional options such as the capability to create a screenshot with higher resolution than displayed.

Slows down workflow.
    Surely not that much to matter. Just save it as a png to your desktop, Drag and drop into Xara.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I must admit that looks bad. I tried it with several images on my machine and do not get that problem. Could it be that your image was saved then that same imaged saved again as a jpg, each one degrading the image further. That can happen and eventually it is totally washed out.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I'm not sure, but is this to do with the document type?

I would expect bitmaps to be optimised when pasted into Web documents because the expectation is that they will later be published online but I would not expect automatic optimisation in non-Web documents.

You could also try the "Help / Info Popups / Turn all on" menu item to ensure that you are given all the relevant options when pasting.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Could it be that your image was saved then that same imaged saved again as a jpg, each one degrading the image further.
    No. As I wrote before, the image is stored as a device-independent uncompressed bitmap in the clipboard. If pasted into Xara, it’s compressed to JPEG. If pasted into Paint, it retains its full quality. The discussion is starting to repeat itself.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    I'm not sure, but is this to do with the document type?
    Happens also when pasting into an A4 sized document for printing.

I would expect bitmaps to be optimised when pasted into Web documents because the expectation is that they will later be published online
    Even then Xara should not convert to JPEG automatically: A simple line drawing on white background, for example, can be better compressed as PNG than as JPEG.

This might also come in handy; look in the registry under the hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePro x64\<version>\Options\Filters. There are numerous keys to fiddle with. The ones that you could definitively change are BitmapCompression and ImportJPEGQuality. But be aware and know what you're doing !

(Oh, and I rediscovered this older tip considering bitmap size on import: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...gistry+options)
    and digging deeper; a hint from Handdrawn: options/filters/optimiseJpegfrompng - set to 0 (from: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ght=ImportSize)