Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question How to prevent Xara from “optimizing” bitmap on paste?

In the 3D modeler Rhino3D, with the ViewCaptureToClipboard command, I can create a screenshot of the current viewport. According to a Rhino developer, “the ViewCaptureToClipboard command copies a raw, uncompressed, device-independent bitmap (e.g. DIB) to the Clipboard.”

Now, when I paste into Xara Designer Pro X11, JPEG compression artifacts are clearly visible. In the bitmap gallery the names of the pasted images are something like for example: Bitmap185 (Optimized)

Is it possible to prevent Xara from “optimizing” on paste?

I put optimizing in quotes because it’s in fact doing the oposite: The result is not optimized, it’s unusably bad.

Default Re: How to prevent Xara from “optimizing” bitmap on paste?

Go to Utilities/Options/View and select "Import at dpi specified in the image file."

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Go to Utilities/Options/View and select "Import at dpi specified in the image file."
    That has no effect: The compression artifacts are still there. The problem is that Xara converts to JPEG on paste, and a JPEG with a high compression rate. Not nice.

Any other suggestion?

is it a jpeg if you paste it into another program?

it may be that xara defaults to a jpeg format if the native format on the clipboard is one it does not support

I'd try pasting it into photoshop and see what happens there
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm not really sure what'is going on. Perhaps you can post your screenshot. The link you provide mentions that you can choose which format you want to use for export.

Is your zoom higher than 100% in Rhino 3D? Because then your screenshot will look pixelated when viewed at 100% in another program.

Perhaps it's also good to take a look at "Importing Photos" in the Help file and scroll down to "Optimization on import".

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    is it a jpeg if you paste it into another program?
    When pasting into Paint, then the image is clean, i.e. without artifacts. Paint beats Xara in quality!

it may be that xara defaults to a jpeg format if the native format on the clipboard is one it does not support
    Quite possible. I just wonder if this behavior can be changed. Maybe there is a setting in the Registry?

ok so you can, of course, save it from another program in an uncompressed format and then inport it into xara - bit of a hassle, maybe

xara has suffered of late from becoming jpeg oriented on account of the web/photo focus - maybe just my opinion, but nothing I use would ever 'be better converted to a jpeg' becauseif I wanted jpeg it would be a jpeg in the first place
    Nothing lasts forever...

... as it happens there is a registry key:

AllowPasteAsDIB

you could try changing the value to 1 and see what happens

its in software/xara/..../options/clipboard

[I'm assuming you know your way around the registry]
    Last edited by handrawn; 28 May 2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: sorry that was not very clear
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Perhaps you can post your screenshot.
    Here you go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comparison.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	112802
    comparison.xar

Images have been scaled up 200%. Notice the compression artifacts in the left image. First pasting into Paint and then copying from there is a workaround, although tedious.

Update: Just noticed that the forum software converts the above graphics to JPEG, but the difference in artifacts is still visible. Also I added the xar-file.
    Last edited by feklee; 28 May 2016 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    AllowPasteAsDIB

you could try changing the value to 1 and see what happens
    Thanks, this kind of works: Now when I paste, Xara asks if I want to paste as Device-independent Bitmap or as Bitmap. When choosing the first option, it pastes without conversion to JPEG. With the second option, behavior is like before.

I say kind of works, because when pasting as Device-independent Bitmap, then the dimensions of the image are not correct. I have to scale it up.

At the moment, the Paint workaround still seems the best option.