Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 404 message on mobile version

Uzay, I can't comment on what advise Jesus is giving you but there is utterly no need for any code to redirect a Xara generated site anywhere. It's automatically produced within Xara's Publish function. In fact this is what is causing your problems.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Uzay, I can't comment on what advise Jesus is giving you but there is utterly no need for any code to redirect a Xara generated site anywhere. It's automatically produced within Xara's Publish function. In fact this is what is causing your problems.
    I agree

Egg Bramhill,
    It wasn't my case. First time I made a mobile version I didn't encounter any problem. However this time Xara generated codes did not work well and my mobile version got a 404 message.
    I usually go to bed by 10:30 However this past Monday I stood up up until 3 am ,Tuesday 2 am and Yesterday 5 am to figure out a way to solve my problem.
    I'm not a coder, I don't know HTML. I'm your ordinary Joe (more precisely Joe the legal immigrant)
    I have solved a problem that many people with much deeper computer knowledge couldn't have. Therefore I just wanted to mention my help. Because I wasn't the one who solved the problem.
    Thank you for comment.

Glad you're happy with your solution uzay
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg Bramhill,
    I'm just curios. What would be your effective solution to my problem ?
    My issue was:
    I designed my website with Xara Design Premium 11 in 5-6 months. ( i'm very busy at work and i don't always time to work on the webpage. Also, non of the themes meet my demands. I had to do everything from scratch and I changed my websites style 3-4 times within last 6 months) Then I crated its mobile variant and I uploaded it. After I uploaded my website to the host (A2 Hosting where I had previous- non mobile friendly version was migrated from Go Daddy) with Filezilla, the mobil version got a 404 error message. However, when I typed mywebsite.com/index.htm on my phone the mobile version worked.
    I started a topic here along with a support ticket with A2 hosting and I took to consideration every single idea given by forum members. None of them worked.
    One of the Techs from A2 hosting made a suggestion about .htaccess file which I didn't even know existed. But the problem with redirecting, they all redirect to a physical mobile version with a mobile.html which isn't the case with Xara that uses the same index file for mobile and desktop.
    I used tons of web design softwares in the past since 1998. Dreamweaver, Microsoft Framework and some others that I dodn't even remember their names.
    When you don't use code but a code emulator, with all those scaling, deleting, editing etc, emulating softwares encounter errors amid the entire code and something always goes south. Which exactly was my case.
    I shared my solution here. Because I am sure somebody did or will encounter similar problem. So i hope they will able solve their problem without going thru the same hassle.
    Btw, I'm still very curious about the solution that you may have to offer.

Thanks.

Hi uzay,

When you publish a Xara created site it just creates one index.htm file. When the browser loads this single file, it inspects the browser window size (and asks it a desktop size? a laptop size? a browser size? a mobile size? ) and code within the Xara published site delivers the correct variant.

BUT there is only one index.htm file. Dependant on the browser/platform you're viewing the site, it serves up different variants of the site. So there's no need for mobile/mysite.com or iphone/mysite.com etc etc

So finally I'd just add, you're overthinking the problem. Just publish your .web file and it will serve up the variant to suit your viewing device.
    Egg

Hi Egg Bramhill,
    This is exactly what I did and did not work as It was supposed to. Somehow, something was wrong with the codes generated by Xara.
    Redirected was the only way around my particular problem. However, xara having one single index.htm file as you mentioned was also another problem.

I've been using XARA for the last two years to design, update and redesign my two websites.

Just to mention your home page doesn't display correctly on my iPad Safari browser (1024x768px) either landscape or portrait - the right and left edges are cut off.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Uzay, this is quite a mystery.

As far as I know you are the only person to have this problem since Xara created this variant mechanism and that is probably thousands of users.

As has been said, Xara does not care about devices, it only cares about browser window size.

I can't tell what's going on, but nobody before you has needed to mess about with server-side settings for device types.

It would have been better for you to not meddle with those settings at all and work with the community to investigate the problem fully, first.

There's no evidence that the Xara software is at fault, and you've removed the ability to establish definitively where the problem is by meddling with the server.

I'm glad it now works, but I don't believe Xara code was responsible.

I wonder if you imported some 3rd party javascript to your project?

Paul

Pauland,
    No. I didn't use any 3rd party script while designing the website.
    My website perfectly switched to the mobile version on a desktop browser when I scaled the desktop browser down to a mobile browser size.
    That's why I focused on the server settings rather than Xara Codes and I was able to solve my problem by modifying .htaccess file.
    However, there are some glitches with Xara codes. My pop up layers in different pages are behaving differently even though they all have the same settings. In one of my pages all image titles turned into blue color from grey color after I grouped /ungrouped them while moving them toward the top of the page.
    My website contains hundreds of images and over a hundred pop up layers.
    I had to change the look of the web page few dozen times while trying create a suitable look and the consistency of separate pages may have gotten messed up while copying /duplicating the pages.
    I hated the previous version of my site that I made. But I had no idea how the new version should have looked.
    I started from scratch during November 2015 and I made endless changes until May 2016.
    After all those changes that I made with the design, I can live with few glitches.
    Thank you for your time