Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: SmartBar XP

New Generation task bar for XP. It is the one that you see in the Longhorn desktop shots. It's still in heavy Beta but it's useable and looks really cool!!

The screen shot below is a bit of a scroll but I wanted you to see how I have it set up for my system. AHighly configureable too, no little options boxes. A simple right click on the bar and you will get your option for a simple or advanced properties box. The advanced properties box gives you a nice tree view and LOTS of areas. It took me a couple of hours of messing with it to get it like I wanted it and I'm still not finished, it's fun and as I said usefull!!

As you can see it can also access the virtual memory and create virtual desktops. Not much control in this area but it's usable. If Windows keeps it up they may actually catch up to the Linux desktop configurability!!

Here are some key notes that I copy/pasted here for you all to read over:

** <span class="ev_code_BLUE">The bar can be set up to match the WindowsXP visual style you are using, adopt the classic Windows look, or use a third party theme.</span>

**<span class="ev_code_BLUE">The bar matching the WindowsXP Luna Silver visual style.</span>

**<span class="ev_code_BLUE">The bar can be positioned at either side of the screen, and has options for z-order positioning and auto-hiding.</span>

**<span class="ev_code_BLUE">With the advanced properties, you can configure settings in more detail, specifying timings and visual effects.</span>

**<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Panes have detailed and extensive properties where appropriate, allowing you to configure them to the style that suits your needs and preference.</span>

**<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Certain panes expand upon interaction, providing additional features and functionality without taking up space on the bar when not in use.</span>

**<span class="ev_code_BLUE">The bar has three audio media player panes. The Windows Media Player pane gives you access to your pre existing WMP9 media library and playlists.</span>

**<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Panes may also show information windows upon interaction, providing extended information and options.</span>

**<span class="ev_code_BLUE">You can make the bar, and other parts of the Windows shell, translucent. It is also possible to transfer the functionality of the taskbar to SmartBarXP and completely hide your taskbar all together!</span>

**<span class="ev_code_BLUE">The bar using the classic windows theme, showing the pane lists available for the bar.</span>

The site where you can get more information is here:

SmartBarXP

The forums are broken and there are a few other broken links but Rick says he's still very much developing the software but it's slow going, as he's a one man show.

Enjoy!! I am!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartBarXP.gif 
Views:	597 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	3719  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi RAMWolff I klicked on the link to the taskbar site but the link seems to be broken, it could be that my pc is doing strange things again but I thought I fixed all the bugs I had so please check the link because i'm very interested in this new taskbar.

There is nothing wrong with the link,
    It seems they have some problems with their site so i'll have to try again another time.

JohnLogan.

Hiya John,

Here is a link that should be fine. Make sure you are running XP Home or Pro though, it won't work for any other Windows version or at least not well.

http://www.smartbarxp.com/
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Richard Thx again for this great link ,love this new smartbar.

Greetings Johnlogan.

So many things that look cool turn out rather useless. Smartbar is one of them. Explain to me what's so special about it.

It's fun and it IS usefull for those that find it so Finch. Each to their own dude!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Mr. Finch, Why all the challenges? Do you have any thoughts that may serve as a contribution to the TG community?

Just what I was wondering as well Mike.... I looked up his post's, to which every durn one of them was negative energy...

tsk tsk Finch... dude, you reeallllyy need to chill...

You can end up a sick person having so much negative energy... like seriously, it isn't good for anybody to be so negative... relax, put your feet up, sip a cool beverage, maybe draw a nice picture, practice some 3D, or... whatever suits your fancy, but yea dude, grab up some fun in life eh

maybe try some gardening... it is fun, and very theraputic, in fact it is a very rewarding use of energy...

Sorry to hijack your thread here Richard

Hey no problem James. Yea, Mr. Negative seems to have left the building, that's usually the case!! No biggy!!

One other to add on to you list of positive things to make your self feel better is to go and hug a person, animal or a tree for that matter. In my belief system if you go and lean on a tree you will feel the negative energy flow out of you. The tree wants to feel good and so it's reaction to your "stuff" is to leach it out of you and push it into the earth so it's recycled back into neutral energy and all of a sudden you don't feel so bad. Try it sometimes. When your through feeling the positive vibe in you make sure and thank the tree, after all they are our friends too (fresh air is one of their by products coming from the foliage! )

Mr. Finch, doesn't matter what you say here, we love you anyway so put that in your pipe and smoke it!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---