Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Xara-Users Shuts Down

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I am a XU member but didn't contribute so I must count as a lurker. I think I visited a dozen times as I felt my niche was with TG.
    TG rarely gets 5% signed in and so 95% could be viewed as lurkers but I see no fault in that; a forum is scary to jump into and if you have nothing to contribute why not benefit from the corpus of knowledge available?

I'm sure its members' contributions have been innovative and first on the block and we have all benefited.

Acorn

P.S. just had a look and XU doesn't mention TG. Ah well.
    When Steve posted his excellent demonstrations there were often many hits but few posts saying thanks for the info. Nothing to contribute has nothing to do with my point Acorn. Taking advantage of the corpus of knowledge available without acknowledgement is. I suppose I'm old fashioned, but politeness means a lot. No use saying "that's a problem with the whole internet" either ... politeness costs nothing. If I had worked as hard as Steve has done to help people here and at XU and generally got silence in return I'd have quit years ago.

XU doesn't mention TG? We were moaned at from on high when we did even when the mention was totally polite! And one of the times XU was mentioned on here, not so long ago, it was suggested it was "bad" to visit there. Links from TG to XU were also frowned upon as taking people to a "rival site" [not how we think of TG] - I had a PM about that when all I was doing was answering a poster's question by pointing to one of Steve's demos as it would explain far better than I ever could.

There are a few people who will actually be happy at the news [including a couple at least who took umbrage at getting blocked for being annoying/disruptive], as I say "childish external politics" . I wish them a happy time with their conscience in the playground
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    Taking advantage of the corpus of knowledge available without acknowledgement is.
    Point taken. I always try and cite a source and as you say, it is only polite.
    Shame XU was seen as a rival, complementary yes.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn, that's how I saw XU ... complementary. I wasn't aiming at you btw, you help people so much. Ironically, there are a number of posts on here recently bemoaning the fact the artistic momentum TG had has all but disappeared to be replaced by web stuff - XU was meant in part as a place the art could flourish. That didn't last long :-D

The best laid plans etc etc
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Xara-Users is certainly going to be missed by me, it was a good place with a LOT of helpful hints, tips and problem solving and that was mostly down to Steve. I remember Steve as one of the first people to help me out when I took the first steps in web design after discovering xara webdesigner, in fact he was the very first person to reply to my very first thread, he helped out many times after that as well so there were no complaints from me. It is a shame that an independent forum had to close down (I think mostly because of lack of interest) as an alternative should always exist in anything in life. It is a shame that all those posts with so much knowledge will no longer be available.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

I visit both sites every day and sometimes got irritated by duplication. I just wish we could merge the groups and live as one happy family.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Personally, I think it would be a great gesture on Xara's part if they offered to host all of Steve's wonderful tutorials and sample files much like the XX archives--making sure to give him full credit. I could care less if there were dead links. That fact could be mentioned in the header.

Mike

BTW, why has Gary P never bothered to correct the misinformation for the closing date?

BTW, why has Gary P never bothered to correct the misinformation for the closing date?
    Because Gary is being recalcitrant. I will fix the date.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Now life goes on and I like the fact that this forum stays the focus of all xara related discussions. One place, One location
    Well if XaraXone is down in this forum itself and now XU too, that does not sound as a good direction.

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Well if XaraXone is down in this forum itself
    Well, it's sort-of still there.

Yes the possibility is there for XaraXone, but it seems Magix not too much care about it.

It is pity because the Xara Designer Pro X11 is the best ever version in my opinion, it is so good without crashes and with million of functions, and exactly in this year there is no XaraXone.

Which was always a great place to try and speak through the new functions, regularly month by month