Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I edit a rectangle to get rounded edges?

I have done this before but for some reason I am unable to find how to do it again.
    I need to make tabs for shapes on a project I am working, by tabs I mean something like folder tabs where the top edges are rounded and the bottom edges pan out to blend in with the shape.

Even an option to simply round all the edges of the rectangle would be great.

I believe I have to convert to an edible shape but I was not able to find the option to round off or edit the corners.

Also is there a way to edit two corners at a time so they look exactly the same?

I am working with P&G Designer 10.

Default Re: How do I edit a rectangle to get rounded edges?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    I have done this before but for some reason I am unable to find how to do it again.
    I need to make tabs for shapes on a project I am working, by tabs I mean something like folder tabs where the top edges are rounded and the bottom edges pan out to blend in with the shape.

Even an option to simply round all the edges of the rectangle would be great.

I believe I have to convert to an edible shape but I was not able to find the option to round off or edit the corners.

Also is there a way to edit two corners at a time so they look exactly the same?

I am working with P&G Designer 10.
    start with the Rectangle Tool. Use it with the Curved corner icon to adjust the corner shape you want.
    If you now convert to editable shapes you can use the Shape Tool and delete the tow bottommost control points to get a flat bottom edge.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    start with the Rectangle Tool. Use it with the Curved corner icon to adjust the corner shape you want.
    If you now convert to editable shapes you can use the Shape Tool and delete the tow bottommost control points to get a flat bottom edge.

Acorn
    Yeah I found that just a few moments ago. But that option seems to only be available when you first create the rectangle. Is there a way to round the corners on a rectangle after it and others have been created?

Never mind, I found it.....

Thanks for the hekp!

Hi Madmax, it would depend on what was done with the rectangle after it was created, but once the rectangle is selected then select the rectangle tool and see if the curved corner option is available

Edit: I didn't read your post fully and see you have already figured it out

Just chiming in to be certain that the underlying concept is explained in case someone runs across this in the future...

There is a distinct difference between a RECTANGLE and a SHAPE.

A rectangle can be modified with "Curved corners". While it is a rectangle, the curved corners can be modified or even removed or removed and re-added.

Once the rectangle is converted to a SHAPE, it's no longer a rectangle. It's a shape that looks like a rectangle. The only way to change its look is with the Shape Tool.

The same concept applies to an ELLIPSE and a QUICK SHAPE.

TIP: Before you convert a rectangle to a shape, create a copy of it before converting to an editable shape. That way, if the shape doesn't end up being what you needed, then you start over with that rectangle.

Hope this helps!

So, if you have converted the rectangle to editable shapes, then using the Rectangle Tool, and with Snap to Object enabled (the orange magnet icon), draw a duplicate rectangle over the converted rectangle. Now apply Curved Corners (double click on the rectangle with the Selector Tool- or select the new rectangle with the Rectangle Tool) and edit as desired.

Delete the original rectangle.

To keep the curves editable this should work.

1. make curved rectangle.
    2. clone and remove the curve from the top rectangle
    3. pull top of clone down as far as necessary
    4. put clone to back to make it easier to select origional curved rectangle later.
    5. group

NOTE: To change curves ungroup and carefully select the top(curved) rectangle.
    II changed color of the non-curved rectangle to show what I did.

Please let me know if anyone finds a problem with this method.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	editable rectangle curves.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	112789
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

The new "variable corners rectangle" SmartShape in PGD365 is specifically designed to make this task easier.

Name:	VarCornersRect.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	112790

The OP might like to download the trial version and see whether he'd like to upgrade.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    The new "variable corners rectangle" SmartShape in PGD365 is specifically designed to make this task easier.

Name:	VarCornersRect.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	112790

The OP might like to download the trial version and see whether he'd like to upgrade.

Phil
    Or, learn to exploit the power of his existing product.

Draw a 45deg line and use this to slice off a corner from a shape.
    Then with the Shape tool, select the two new control points near the corner and change them to make Curve (C) and Smooth Join (S).
    It is not a perfect quarter circle but the approach can be generalised for any shaped corner.

For those with XWD

Or, give the box a Name of "htmlClass="curved"" and attached this little bit of CSS to the page head:
    <style>.curved {
    border-radius: 45px;
    }
    </style>
    where you can change the pixel value to any number.

I use this when I have a hundred boxes to change at once.
    This only works when the boxes are horizontal.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You've by-passed Xara altogether here Acorn
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host