Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xdp6 memory problem, 800kb file, many layers, A0 canvas size in xpgd2013

Hello everyone, my hopes are someone will know how to solve this problem.

This is my first post here, I hope I am not breaking any rules and put it in the right spot.

I have been using photo and graphic designer for a number of years and encountered a problem that I don't know how to solve.
    For my workplace I have made floorplans per room that are oriented from POV and have the room you are in highlighted.
    The drawings I made are size A0 in pdf format (page setting in Xara/Magix 2013) so the fire department can have crisp large size plan if the need occurs.

In the file I have some (estimate) 200 layers and on each of those layers there is either an escape route, the information per room (either switched on or of) and I started out making a lot of layers with all the information copied so it would be in the same place for every room. From a larger original size that caused no problems, I end up with a smaller file that gives me grief. I get crashes when saving this file, the file even disappears on me completely occasionally (thank god for backups)

my software is in Dutch but the error numbers should be the same I guess so I noted them below.

1147.k.st.es (internal program error) no succes in finding anything on google about this.

747.w.of.rn (internal program error) again no luck in finding information about this one either.

I am not finished with this floorplan, and have no clue what to do now, there's a lot of hours invested in this, and I want to finish the plans.

Anyone suggestions on what the problem can be? It happens on my laptop as well as on my desktop.

I'm hoping for some tips towards solving this. And hope I have specified my problem sufficiently.

I added the last version of the file (before the one that went missing) but this file also gave warnings on several occasions.

Thnx in advance

ICTheo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: memory problem, 800kb file, many layers, A0 canvas size in xpgd2013

Welcome.

What kind of edits are you making before a Save attempt?

I went into the file, but in XDP as I don't have your application, made a few changes to a couple layers, added a couple layers, duplicated a couple layers, saved as a new name without any type of incident.

Also, I don't know if it helps, but as you live where the wonderful metric sheet size is (I'm in the US), this can be done at any of the A paper sizes, then have the PDF scaled appropriately to print on the A0 you wish to have it printed on. Just a thought in the off chance it may be memory related at all.

Mike

First off, thanx for the swift reply!

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Welcome.

What kind of edits are you making before a Save attempt?

• I just draw a line or copy a small item or an arrow or the like and then it crashes. Having pc re-imaged so next week I 'll be able to see if that helps.

I went into the file, but in XDP as I don't have your application, made a few changes to a couple layers, added a couple layers, duplicated a couple layers, saved as a new name without any type of incident.

• Would you try copying the whole drawing (but for the lower 3 or 4 layers and thus doubling the number of layers? If that would be no issue, I'd be confident that I can proceed with my current setup. Considering the amount of time invested, that would be very desirable.

• (I Recently bought XDP11, but privately. In my work pc's I am still at Xpgd2013 version. But good to know that this may solve the problem ultimately.

Also, I don't know if it helps, but as you live where the wonderful metric sheet size is (I'm in the US), this can be done at any of the A paper sizes, then have the PDF scaled appropriately to print on the A0 you wish to have it printed on. Just a thought in the off chance it may be memory related at all.

• I am in the Netherlands, scaling would mean problems, cause the underlying drawing would become too unsharp.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ICTheo View Post
    First off, thanx for the swift reply!
    No worries!

I unlock a bunch of layers and duplicated them repeatedly. No issues during, after or upon saving. But I also didn't take the time to unlock every single layer, but did about 30-40. Which is not how I would go about doing this redraw any way. But for the 30-40 layers, no issues duplicating 10 times.

About scaling. I thought this was being redrawn as vector. If so, scaling would only be any sort of issues with the shadow groups (which I wouldn't use for this anyway), or other bitmap effects.

Just because I don't have an issue, though, doesn't mean a lot. I would encourage you to try it at home on XDP as well. I too am using XDP X11.

Mike

Is it occurring when you try to export to PDF?

XPGD11 is not 64-bit so you are going to hit memory problems.
    I tried PDF/X export with all layers unlocked and after 15 minutes my machine was still sitting with Xara at 28% and still compiling the document.
    It took 7 GB of memory and 20 minutes to render.

All I can suggest is save your master file to a safe location.

Open a copy and cut out all layers that do not support a particular view.
    Do this for all the views you need (e.g., B-9, B-90, B-180, C-270).
    Save all these sub-copies and a base one that every copy has and use this as you ongoing template (plattegrond).

Perhaps in saving out to PDF, in advanced Setting you are not excluding invisible layers?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, it is happening with drawing items and copy/paste operations as per the reply above, though the reply is in the quote box.

I still haven't fathomed how this is to be printed. Turning off layers to print, on and on, would be a chore. Might be better set up with a master page, duplicate the page then make the adjustment for that floor, and so on.

Acorn, it is happening with drawing items and copy/paste operations as per the reply above, though the reply is in the quote box.
    I still haven't fathomed how this is to be printed. Turning off layers to print, on and on, would be a chore. Might be better set up with a master page, duplicate the page then make the adjustment for that floor, and so on.
    I had no problems with duplicating layers but I'm also using XDPX11 64-bit.
    My suggestion of sub-copies and a base template is exactly what you've described.

The full PDF is 43.1MB.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Well, "sub-copies" and pages are the same? Didn't make sense to me. But OK...

Well, "sub-copies" and pages are the same? Didn't make sense to me. But OK...
    Base template == master page or close enough. Xara not having master pages as pointed out recently. Sub-copy == Duplicate (master) page and adjust. My sub-copies reference is simply cutting out what is needed from the current design file; you're discussing what to do going from a master page for new work. Both sides of the same coin. My background is IT so Master, Copy and Sub-copy have a particular meaning. A lot of my profession work is establishing a glossary of common understanding before getting into requirements capture.
    The end game in TG should always be a satisfactory outcome for the OP.

Acorn

The terminology should simply be that of the application under discussion is all I am trying to get at.

I could use terminology from any of the four main businesses I have had (how about logging or mechanic?), including systems integration and application programming when discussing an Xara application. But that doesn't do the user I am attempting to communicate with understand me.