Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Not much graphics chat on Talk Graphics any more

Me too. People then ask how do you draw an occluded front line...
    Oh, how did you manage to get your thumb in the image? A selfie?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

What i was trying say was the people who use TG are either getting old, they use Xara products for drawing need little or no help and have been doing this for years. Or they have started to do there own websites using a Xara programme, want and need help to do certain things. They maybe getting on years too but are new to the design of websites. We a fewer postings placed in the Xara Galleries than we had maybe 10 years back where I used to get inspired by Bob H, Norman, Ron Duke, Derek Cooper, Kane Rodgers, Gray, Zeb, Gary P and many more to do better. Now I am doing a boring drawing of an Occluded Front which would only interest a few so no way would I now post these.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Now I am doing a boring drawing of an Occluded Front which would only interest a few so no way would I now post these.

That's really a pity.

So many silent people here would like to see the techniques to put that together.

It's a mistake to think that what you consider as mundane, isn't of value to other people.

Few people are making the artful, most people creating graphics are looking for the basic techniques and workflow to get a job done. We can all learn from the techniques used by a professional going about their work.

You don't mind teaching people outside TG, Albacore, why shouldn't that be the case on TG?

What i was trying say was the people who use TG are either getting old, they use Xara products for drawing need little or no help and have been doing this for years.
    I don't expect anyone remembering me, but I stumbled upon this thread so I will comment. I use Xara since last century and I love it. I'm mostly into programming, but since I'm also experienced with design, I'm being constantly abused for design work, so I use it almost on everyday basis for all design / vector / print work. It's all just practical design. No art. Since I wasn't here for a long time I want to add one more thing. Since Magix took over Xara, added few useful production features (like live guides, text-editing/handling, shortcuts, pages) and since the PDF export matured, I was even more assured that it's my weapon of choice forever. I love Xara. Totally. I didn't follow this forum forum for years, and I feel totally lost when I look at number of forum topics and threads. I think, it's one of the reasons why I don't return here more often. Following forums is a "full time job" sometimes. Especially when one isn't actually a part of "scene". If there was some VIP section/subforum/forum for long time Xara users (10 yrs+) with just 2-3 themes (e.g. general chat, gallery) it might be more attractive to follow on daily basis.
    Last edited by roman; 22 May 2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: a bit of correcturing and extension

Well, let me tell you a story...

Once upon a time, there was a young photographer who loved shooting on film. Then, one day, there was this new thing on the market, a camera that could take pictures without film, a digital camera. Of course the image quality was inferior to film and the young photographer would pooh-pooh this new technology. It would never be as good as film. In fact, while in college the young photographer wrote an essay in English class about how film was so much better than digital images and digital would never live up to the standards of film, mainly because film had been around for such a long time.

In the end, though, digital was here to stay. And it got better and better. Now, years later, that young photographer uses digital cameras all the time. A change of heart, maybe?
    Well, in the end that photographer learned a very important lesson. The world moves on. It gets better and better. So, now, that young photographer is no longer young but he learned to embrace the changes that are destined to take place. He now thinks, "go with the flow or you'll get heart-broken often".

Now, that photographer is older and sees even newer technology on the horizon. Many professional photographers are scared of that new technology. But the technology is coming, no matter what. The new technology is called "mirrorless" cameras. And the old photographer has already bought one and couldn't be more happy while others are pooh-poohing it. He smiles because he has learned the lesson from long ago about embracing change instead of resisting it.

That photographer was me.

Embrace change. Don't let it get you down. If you'll embrace the changes of life, life will be so much easier. At least that's what this old photographer has learned.

Mark

~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    Well, let me tell you a story...

Once upon a time, there was a young photographer who loved shooting on film. Then, one day, there was this new thing on the market, a camera that could take pictures without film, a digital camera. Of course the image quality was inferior to film and the young photographer would pooh-pooh this new technology. It would never be as good as film. In fact, while in college the young photographer wrote an essay in English class about how film was so much better than digital images and digital would never live up to the standards of film, mainly because film had been around for such a long time.

In the end, though, digital was here to stay. And it got better and better. Now, years later, that young photographer uses digital cameras all the time. A change of heart, maybe?
    Well, in the end that photographer learned a very important lesson. The world moves on. It gets better and better. So, now, that young photographer is no longer young but he learned to embrace the changes that are destined to take place. He now thinks, "go with the flow or you'll get heart-broken often".

Now, that photographer is older and sees even newer technology on the horizon. Many professional photographers are scared of that new technology. But the technology is coming, no matter what. The new technology is called "mirrorless" cameras. And the old photographer has already bought one and couldn't be more happy while others are pooh-poohing it. He smiles because he has learned the lesson from long ago about embracing change instead of resisting it.

That photographer was me.

Embrace change. Don't let it get you down. If you'll embrace the changes of life, life will be so much easier. At least that's what this old photographer has learned.

Mark
    I liked that Mark.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I liked that Mark.
    Yes, a nicely written piece, Mark. But (well, you knew there would be a "But") it isn't that Xara has changed particularly, aside from adding Web Designer to the fold, which has had a knock-on effect on the change of emphasis that the forum has taken, and Xara has responded to this by placing its own emphasis (not surprisingly) on the web design elements of their applications to the detriment of the vector design tools in their Designer Pro package.
    Some of us predicted that this would cause a knock-on effect to the TG forum and this has indeed been the case. It is also why many of us are bleating on about the lack of improvements to the vector and font tools in the Designer range.
    Instead of being the fastest vector program on the market it is now aiming to be the Swiss Army Knife of the graphics world. I'm all for change in the name of progress, if that change means improvement, as in digital photography, but this is at the expense of improvements to the vector elements of the Designer Pro range and that's not progress, it has however resulted in stagnation of the developments to new vector tools and badly needed support to Open Type fonts, and that certainly isn't progress, but it is neglect.
    It's the neglect that I and others are resisting, not change.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Xara software and do it up as a .xar file then post it in the Xara graphics chat area.