Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is Xara?

Default Re: Where is Xara?

Starmo, let's see if we can help you from here.

You have mentioned a ftp timeout error so all we can do is ask around this aspect.

Is it the Xara application that errors with a message? Can you supply that message?
    Does it always occur?
    Does the upload have a large number of big images?
    Do some of these images repeat across many pages? e.g., background.
    Does it occur with a smaller file?
    Is your machine 32-bit?
    Do you know how much RAM your machine has?
    Do you have a number of other applications open?

So one gets timeouts for a variety of reasons.
    Uploading to the wrong ISP folder location.
    Machine without enough memory; running 32-bit limits the RAM size to under 4GB. Running too many application at the same time eats memory.
    Having the same large image over several pages, means Xara allocates a different filename to each so the upload is magnified. There is a simple workaround.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Starmo View Post
    Paul, you are right of course, maybe because I am a new Xara user I am expecting too much, but I need software I can rely on for my work, I do not have the time to have loads of workarounds for software that at the end of the day is not working correctly.
    Many users here use Xara software for their work and have done for many years. A problem with FTP that may well be because of a misunderstanding on your part about Xara, or may be to do with your web host, is not a "load of issues".

I have yet to encounter software that doesn't have issues or bugs.

You get what you pay for of course, I also use Adobe Muse, 24/7 support but at £180 pa I would expect it. So why use Xara you say, well Muse is over complicated for my needs, Xara COULD provide just what I need.
    It's always the case that when adopting new software from any vendor, some patience is required, reaching out to the existing user community and describing where you are having problems. The user community has been there before you and in most cases seen it all before.

With Xara, virtually all FTP issues that come to light turn out to be because users are not using the software correctly, have incorrectly configured the software, or their web host has some issue to do with their FTP requirements.

But transferring from one program to another to publish is not exactly good workflow!
    Well if you consider that FTP programs like FileZilla exist solely to transfer files between computers, they work well and are very, very popular.

People often prefer working with dedicated software like FileZilla because of the control that it gives and in many cases some web software - not Xara - that I use doesn't have an inbuilt FTP client of their own.

Using FileZilla with Xara is a workaround that has solved your issue for the moment. Many people prefer it to Xara's mechanism, so don't knock it.

Not sure what you mean about sharing my issue with TG, I am posting on the forum, what else can I do?
    As Christine says, engage with the community and explain what you've tried, what the problems are. People will most likely help you find out where exactly the problem sits.

Also, slightly off topic, is it possible to get email notification when someone replies here, I don't seem to have it?
    If I respond to a thread and someone else responds, I always get an email. Christine has pointed the way.

Now tell the community what is going on and the problem, most likely, will be solved.

The problem I am having is, every time I try to publish from within Xara Web Designer 365, even before it begins the upload process, I get the message "FTP Error, The timeout has been reached"
    Previously all was working fine, then it started doing this sometimes, then more often, now all of the time.

So I have to export site to a local folder and upload via Filezilla.

I have as support suggested, deleted and reloaded the program, deleted an installation ini file, and tried to publish with firewall off.

My other website design software are all able to publish with no errors.

Sorry, I think I missed some posts.

Acorn, I am running 64 bit Windows 10, I have loads of ram on this machine, cannot remember right now how much though.
    I have tried running just Xara and see what happens, it still fails, there are not lots of big images, or backgrounds.

In fact I have even tried uploading a Xara template with no changes made on it, same problem occurs

What's the website?

The website is not the problem, I can upload any one of my clients site and get the same error, as I already said, even one of Xaras unchanged templates also fails.

Starmo, you're showing this website to the world, so why so coy here?

I wonder if you have any humungous assets that are causing the timeout problem for Xara?

If this also is a problem for any website from Xara, I'm not sure. Can you upload a single page site with virtually nothing on it?

Technically yes I am showing the website to the world, but this is my test site where I show clients mock ups, visit blueflare.site88.net and you will see a Xara template that failed to load directly from Xara, it was exported from Xara then Filezilled.
    Regarding assets, I do not keep assets in the program, so the only items would be pre loaded.

After the site loaded, I clicked around a bit and then all I could get was "waiting.." .

So I wonder if it's just a question of FileZilla being more tolerant to slow transfers than Xara.

Your website is unusable in my quick trial. Maybe some others can try.

If it's not just me, your webhost might suck.

I just tried it and it all clicked through ok. I have 3 other hosts that I use and I get the same result, including Xaras own hosting

But are we not getting away from the point here, its not a website or hosting problem, the problem is getting from Xara Web designer 365 to a host, any host.