Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Update navgation bars but dont move them around ?

I have a nvaigation bar that repeats accross the site which is great but if I move its position that also moves on other pages when I don't want it to. I know I can stop it repeating but that also stops the navigation bar updating as I add pages etc to the site. I have tried LOCK but that does not work.

Is there a way to do this or will I have to delete the navigation bar from the page I don't want it to move around on and cop & paste it from another page once the site is finished ?

Default Re: Update navgation bars but dont move them around ?

I would just set the bar to stop updating for that page and add a note in the pasteboard area to the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I would just set the bar to stop updating for that page and add a note in the pasteboard area to the effect.
    Thank you - so copy and paste at the end then ?

Shame that was not a way to copy the contents of a navbar between pages but not its position - I thought LOCK would do it but no, not sure what lock is for. Is it just to stop an object being moved accidently ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Young View Post
    ... not sure what lock is for. Is it just to stop an object being moved accidently ?
    John, Lock is to prevent the object being selected or copied & pasted accidentally, i.e., it becomes non-editable.
    With the Page & Layer gallery open and the Locale button depressed, click on an object then right-click and pick Lock - the Layer view collapses, the object now shows a red lock icon.
    Only clicking on this icon or right-click on the page and picking 'Unlock all on page', will allow the object to be edited.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    John, Lock is to prevent the object being selected or copied & pasted accidentally, i.e., it becomes non-editable.
    With the Page & Layer gallery open and the Locale button depressed, click on an object then right-click and pick Lock - the Layer view collapses, the object now shows a red lock icon.
    Only clicking on this icon or right-click on the page and picking 'Unlock all on page', will allow the object to be edited.
    Acorn
    Thanks Acorn

So as far as the Nav Bar goes I will do one on the main page and then sort the others out at the end or it will just get confusing and messy..

Shame it cannot be all done together but at least there is a way

Hi John, another way is to create a site just containing your navbar (named menu.htm) and upload it to your server and then use a placeholder to position the navbar in the main site. That way you only need to edit the menu.web and republish.

EXAMPLE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

That's kind of fun Egg. Just noticed the favicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi John, another way is to create a site just containing your navbar (named menu.htm) and upload it to your server and then use a placeholder to position the navbar in the main site. That way you only need to edit the menu.web and republish.

EXAMPLE
    Thanks Egg good idea but my site is not ery big so I will do the one on my index page and get it right then copy and move it to the other pages as needed.

John - Unless you need a different nav bar for different pages or sections, once you check Site Navigation Bar repeats on all pages (or whatever the language) the bar appears and updates on all pages.

You can add 100 pages to your site and the will all appear on the navigation bar. But you can edit the nav bar in many ways. Page names can be changed, sub-menus created, colors changed and modified for the sub menus. And these changes will automatically update on all instances of the nav bar.

John - Unless you need a different nav bar for different pages or sections, once you check Site Navigation Bar repeats on all pages (or whatever the language) the bar appears and updates on all pages.
    But this is John's point Gary. If the menu is shared over all pages, repositioning it, repositions it on all pages.

Stop sharing breaks the link to a common navbar.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host