Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Websites with Live PowerPoint presentation and Embedded "blog"

Thanks Paul, real advice from a pro. I totally agree with everything you say! Less is more, I keep telling myself, but I like to 'play', my bad. I will genuinely look to taking your advice in my next project.
    With this specific bar/pub, there are three bars in one place, same owner, same punters, just different atmospheres. So when you walk into Bazil's building, you have three doors to choose, literally like that, left, right and center. So I was trying to convey that, maybe just too jumbled as you say. I will be disabling a lot of the animations now I have finished playing with them. And I will be decreasing text amount and putting it on a more solid background. I will be looking more at the large graphics with parallax scrolling as you sent as example, less text more large graphics.
    I am a big fan of everything that Cloud does, his websites are the very best on here, but he does not use Xara for those. But the design and layout will always be a great resource on how a site should look.
    With the Specials food menu, I will look at finding a way to tidy it up, maybe embedding a whole page from blogger within an iframe that will look like a notice board, with more than just the daily menu, so it looks like a complete page.
    Many thanks for the feedback, it is great when someone in the same field takes time to help others.

I am a big fan of everything that Cloud does, his websites are the very best on here, but he does not use Xara for those.

It matters not what people use to construct a website, you can make similar sites with Xara.

This site shows how a mobile and desktop site should differ. The mobile version has the essentials.

http://www.hollybushhampstead.co.uk/

Here's a side-scroller:

http://www.whistlingshop.com/

Hi Andy, as your thread title relates to Live Power Point presentations and Embedded Blogs I'll restrict myself to commenting on jmainly these points.

PP: For me the Live Power Point dosen't load in FF (v42) just stuck on the loading page. Fine in IE, Chrome & Safari. What's the advantage of using PP? You could equally create the site as a Xara Presentation and load it via an Iframe. The presentation should work equally as well on the bars TV's ???

With the blog I find that the blog is not fitting the window (see screen grab). Perhaps Atom can advise you here?

Finally, as a visitor with no idea that Bazils is three bars in one, a point Paul stated. For all the first time visitor knows they may be in different cities. I've know idea where Appleton is, give visitors a clue, "Appleton, Wisconsin, USA". But more than this try to bring over the point that it's three bars in one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bazils.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	112761  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, how are you? I love your name :P

That's fine, but no kissing with tongues
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    What's the advantage of using PP?
    I think the bar staff can use powerpoint to do the specials menu.

It does make me wonder how the powerpoint gets onto the web server.

Finally, as a visitor with no idea that Bazils is three bars in one, a point Paul stated. For all the first time visitor knows they may be in different cities. I've know idea where Appleton is, give visitors a clue, "Appleton, Wisconsin, USA". But more than this try to bring over the point that it's three bars in one.
    I think there should be a "gateway" page leading to the three separate bars.

Each bar should showcase itself, but could have a more subtle link to the other two bars.

On Bazil's bar the advertising of the other two bars is just too prominent - Basil's bar is so good you should be somewhere else!

I think that for a bar or restaurant, people need to know:

1) What kind of place it is, what can they expect?
    2) Menu,
    3) Opening hours,
    4) How to get there

1) is what makes people decide to investigate further.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think there should be a "gateway" page leading to the three separate bars.
    With some graphics (and possibly a bit of text) making it visually very clear that punters (funny word to a non-Brit) can choose between three different experiences.

Absolutely.

In my defence, using the largest text on the home page and making them the the very first words on the website, I state exactly " One Venue, Three Bars, Your Choice" then list the three bars. But I understand if this is not getting the message across. I will look at some less 'in your face' whirlygigs and tighten it all up a bit.
    But apart from all the problems you guys have kindly pointed out, I do have one major technical hitch that I cannot fathom, and it will take the best brains on here to help me out. Someone other than my client 'owns' bazilspub dot com < this URL includes an 's' in bazils. The domain I am working with is bazilpub dot com, with no 's'. The owner of the one with 's' arranged a redirect and both spellings should resolve in the website being viewed correctly. However, if a punter ( potential customer) types bazilspub with an 's', the website only shows the nav bar and nothing else works. I suspect it is something to do with the way this site is built, a single page with the others using layers.
    I would really like some help to find out what is causing this.
    Correctly viewed URL: http://www.bazilpub.com/
    Incorrectly displayed URL: http://www.bazilspub.com/