Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THE 'DUKE'

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Bill - Like you say "take it for what it is".

*Please* read my post again. I fail to see why you are geeting defensive or argumentative. I say nothing about you imposing your idea of what he looks like on anyone! I was mearly trying to suggest that memory is not objective. You draw him from memory and think the likeness is good. I assess it, also on the basis of memory, and don't see the likeness. Neither of our memories can objectively assess the likeness. I believe your memory is every bit as valid as my own - and neither memory is perfect.

Look at the image relative to photos and assess for yourself if there is a strong likeness. Your image might have perfectly matched your memory of the man without actually looking like him. Fine.

I do take it for what it is - a very appealing and inspiring image.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Bill, I keep coming to this page just to take another look at this picture. it's a terrific illustration and wonderful technique - inspirational.

Brian

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Here's John Wayne talking telling us how it is...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bill,

I noticed in the photo Ross posted that he didn't have a mustache. I'm not a big John Wayne fan so I'm not sure if he ever did. If he didn't, I find it curious that your memory had him with a mustache. I have noticed that often people will fail to remember whether someone they have seen has a beard or mustache or even whether they are bald.

The image is great though but perhaps it's the mustache and the narrower chin that makes him look different.

I think it would be interesting to see other people's renditions of famous people from memory and see how close other's are to the actual people.

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

..David for your constructive comments.

Funny thing is that I remember him from a movie
    where he is an officer in the US Calvary. See the
    button on his hat. I just invented it..two swords
    crossed on top of found base with the words US Calvary. In that movie, I recall he had a mustache. Now to get it as it was..grey or black etc., thin or thick..hum..

I look at it now and I can see areas that I'm sure need reworking. One thing I'm thinkino of doing is to make his face a little longer.

Your suggestion of doing actors etc.from memory would get the creative juices running!

Thanks,David.

walk softly at the edges..bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Hi Bill
    Nice image but he does look a bit more like Schnieder from that TV show. But John Wayne was in the cavalry in the movie "Rio Grande" and if you look at the photos from "Rio Grande" and "The Shootist", he did have a mustache. So your memory is not all that bad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wayne.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	3637  
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

..for helping me zero in on what the likes of DUKE
    really are. Nice fotos..where did you get them?

I checked the foto of the Shootist. One thing I saw right away was that I had his mouth drawling to the left when it drawls to the right, our position.

If I remember right he had 'blue' eyes. In the foto he has dark eyes. We know they sometimes use contacts etc. I think I saw color foto of him, not in movie.

I really enjoy something like this..it is so full of learning. Someone mentioned to do faces of actors etc.from memory...then we could compare with foto etc. It is so important that a CREATIVE ARTIST can 'Create' from memory, because we can't always have referance material in front of us.
    ...just thoughts...

Thanks, Bruce..and all.

walk softly at the edges..bill

Bruce here is a reworked one of the DUKE...any
    better :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DUKE7.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	10194  

Bill I did a search through altavista.com and these images turned up at the amazon.com web site.
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/63...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/07...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think his face needs to broader. But your image still looks very good!
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Hi Bill,

I love your technique. Your image looks like John (or should I say Marion Morrison) when he was much younger, say in the late 1930s and early 1940s. If you can find it, take a look at the original "Stagecoach" from about 1939 I think.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

William,
    Very nice illu. I like the way you have done the scarf,and the overall layout(backdrop, and fonts etc) What fonts are at the bottom left if I may ask. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]