Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web Designer hard to understand

Microsoft FrontPage 98 worked great but it won't work with W7, so I've been looking for an editor as smooth operating as it - so having used Xara3D happily for about 15yrs, I bit on the ads and paid for Designer 365. A much harder interface that fills up a lot of the screen and the help thing doesn't seem to help.

Question: How do I create framed pages? I want a simple nav window at the top with an intro page that changes to whatever is linked from the top frame. Despite multiple searches I can't find a thing about it.

Question: My default browser is Opera - yet whenever I try a link on the menu that first starts, this disgusting IE11 starts up and my virus programs go nuts but can't find the cause in this terrible browser.

Anyway enuff whine - I just want to make a framed site before I call Visa to stop pay (unusable merchandise) and try another program

Sorry - if I sound distraut, but I'm close to it. Snarks are welcome

Default Re: Web Designer hard to understand

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I'm sure that FrontPage had a learning curve and so does Web Designer.

Web Designer is not an HTML editor. It is WYSIWYG. It is possible to add code to the page or the site using a placeholder object, or the Insert HTML Body and Head buttons in the Website Properties menu.

Not sure what you are referring to about a "frame site." Can you give us a link to what you are referring to?

The only frames I can think of are iFrames but somehow I don't think this is what you are referring to.

First of all it's unfair expecting one piece of software to work like another (well obsolete) software.

I think what you are describing is loading pages into a frameset. This is also an obsolete technique that has fallen out of fashion. I don't think Xara supports that. I don't think any design programs support that these days.

It's about time to build sites in the modern way - web design has advanced significantly since 1998. There's no need to be distraught, you just need to adapt.

As for calling up Visa to get a reversal because the software is unusable, I'd say that's pretty underhand and unnecessary. I think Xara offers a refund within 30 days. or something like that.

It's always wise to use trials before buying software, so I don't know why you didn't do that with Xara.

I hope you reconsider your view of Xara.
    Last edited by pauland; 15 May 2016 at 08:12 PM.

The software is usable and fully functional. There would be nothing for the visa claim unless you lied.

I guess you should have downloaded and ran it as a trial before you bought the software.

Just like FP's nav bars and certain functions (like shared borders, etc.) no longer supported by any modern web host, frame sets are not a good web building methodology any more. For a long time, actually.

As long as you have the software, why not try to learn how to make a site.

ok no one's said it so far so I'll say it: there is a 30 day trial, you should have started with this.. right?

if you think IE is 'disgusting' then good luck with building a site that actually works for oither people out there on the web

if your virus programs are going nuts and you can't find the cause perhaps you should be starting with learning how they work, because as it stands you have gaps in your knowlege right there

but enuff of the irony

folks here will help you a lot - if you want help....

EDITT once again we cross post
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

And nafz355 has produced a series of excellent video tutorials on how to build a web site using Xara, starting from scratch. It is quite straight forward, but you will have to learn some new jargon.

As well, try opening and inspecting one of the templates. But if you do, please don't ask us for the English version of the Lorem Ipsum placeholder text like one user did on the Magix forum.

John

The nearest XWD365 will come to what you are after with "framed pages" is a Navigation Bar that set to Stick at top (Help > Search: Sticky Objects) and Repeat on all pages (Help > Search: Repeating Objects). Sticky objects are in the Premium version. The "help thing" is actually quite good but you have to "know" what you are searching for. Most of use use something like "site:www.talkgraphics.com/ <search phrase>" in Google or DuckDuckGo to find nuggets within TG here.

I do hope you went for XWD365 Premium as it has much more that will assist you. It can be done is XWD365 but at a time cost to you.

As Gary states, Xara is not a code editor so I suggest you look at Xara's example websites and video tutorials before launching into a new design.

What screen resolution are you working with? The galleries can be pinned or set to scared. You can work Full Screen (NUM 8).

Xara has an internal browser that uses IE. There is an Opera icon you can click to view your work there.
    Xara will not have changed how your htm(l) files are opened. to be getting virus alerts is either you have viruses or you need a different AV program.

Good luck in whatever you decide,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hey guys, lighten up. Roadtoad has some legitimate questions and we should answer them in a friendly manner.

We all have overacted at one time in our lives when we are frustrated. At least I have, and I suspect the rest of you as well.

and I quote from roadtoad here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...518#post552518

It takes many many hours to become fast and proficient with the tools.

well yes... exactly

sorry gary, but sometimes it is hard.... and we are all helpful at heart....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The OP does have a point, as a new user myself I am also finding problems with Xara, in my case I am spending hours, and I do mean hours, learning how it works, which I accept I need to do, but I too am thinking of giving up.

I keep getting 'Fatal" and must close messages nearly everyday, I cannot publish one page of my site, I have to do the whole site, these are just two examples.

BUT, most of all I am disgusted with Xara support, or lack of, 3 days ago I suddenly started getting 'FTP error: The timeout has been reached' whenever I try to publish, I contacted support 2 days ago, received the automated message, and since then nothing, do support not work weekends?
    So right now I cannot publish anything, the lack of support for me is a deal breaker, I think I can hear Wordpress calling...

If anybody can help here that would be great, I have checked my system, port 21 is open, and I can publish from my other web designer.