Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: A new plea for User Interface options other than black

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    because it is a hack

removing the XML is not an officially supported procedure - and what then happens may also depend on your computer config

for example if you are not running your computer in admin mode [when you make the change] that may be one reason ....

same goes for shft+ctrl+alt+s to change the skin to light grey, not officially supported

so the word is not 'bug' which is a flaw - it is 'unpedictable/unexpected' which is a consequence of using something in a way it is not intended to be used ['at your own risk']
    While you are surely sincere in your statement, are you saying that the folks while putting in the keystroke to make that change (yeah, programmer had to add the code for it to happen because that is a rather complicated keystroke combination to come about by chance) did not have the ability to allow for a secondary display of the user interface?

That would be just downright silly for a company to do. Even back in the DOS days, when we set up keystroke combinations (yeah, us old dinosaurs) they were deliberate - nothing accidental about them.

Changing the color of the UI should NOT affect the display of icons. Therefore ... buggy.

I can deal with the dark version for now if I must, but as I age in front of my displays, it is going to become more and more difficult --- especially on my laptop.

Oh, and while it has problems on XWD365 pro, it works FLAWLESSLY on XWD10 pro.

It is unsupported and has never received any "love" to make it viable. It isn't a bug per se, it has just either never been fully implemented and/or updated along with the application. That's why it is unsupported.

My guess is that it is a holdover from when the application had a lighter interface and someone just made a hook to it. But because it was never finished/updated, it is unsupported. It would have been better for Xara never to have left the hook in there or not communicated it was there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dijenga View Post
    are you saying that the folks while putting in the keystroke to make that change (yeah, programmer had to add the code for it to happen because that is a rather complicated keystroke combination to come about by chance) did not have the ability to allow for a secondary display of the user interface?
    yes that is what I am saying because the keystroke combination was only ever intended for the development programmers to use themselves [hence it being 'complicated' and therefore not likely to be done by accident]

this was made clear when the keystroke combination was first mentioned on this forum way back - maybe Mike is right, maybe it should not have been

it was also made clear that the switch could produce unpredictable results and that eventually it would probably stop working because it unsuported for the user - it is only meant for the programmers to test things out with

That would be just downright silly for a company to do. Even back in the DOS days, when we set up keystroke combinations (yeah, us old dinosaurs) they were deliberate - nothing accidental about them.
    pushes CP/M manual back against door to keep it open, wistfully thinks back to the days of locoscript... and even further back to ICL 1900 and george 3... takes a deep breath and says: not silly; not accidental; see my reply above...

Changing the color of the UI should NOT affect the display of icons. Therefore ... buggy.
    if it's done in a supported way then I agree, no; but when it it isn't you run the risk

I can deal with the dark version for now if I must, but as I age in front of my displays, it is going to become more and more difficult --- especially on my laptop
    I have sympathy with this; I reckon magixara should give us a supported option, but i'm guessing it is not a priority for them amongst all the other clamour for new stuff

Oh, and while it has problems on XWD365 pro, it works FLAWLESSLY on XWD10 pro.
    once again see my first reply in this post
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    My guess is that it is a holdover from when the application had a lighter interface and someone just made a hook to it. But because it was never finished/updated, it is unsupported. It would have been better for Xara never to have left the hook in there or not communicated it was there in the first place.
    Not really just a hook. Up to and including XDP 11, new buttons for the light-gray interface were introduced to be able to access new functions. I don't know what the situation is with the version-12 software.

In programming, a hook is a place and usually an interface provided in packaged code that allows a programmer to insert customized programming

but I'm not saying that is necessarily what mike meant...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes that is what I am saying because the keystroke combination was only ever intended for the development programmers to use themselves [hence it being 'complicated' and therefore not likely to be done by accident]

this was made clear when the keystroke combination was first mentioned on this forum way back - maybe Mike is right, maybe it should not have been

it was also made clear that the switch could produce unpredictable results and that eventually it would probably stop working because it unsuported for the user - it is only meant for the programmers to test things out with

pushes CP/M manual back against door to keep it open, wistfully thinks back to the days of locoscript... and even further back to ICL 1900 and george 3... takes a deep breath and says: not silly; not accidental; see my reply above...

if it's done in a supported way then I agree, no; but when it it isn't you run the risk

I have sympathy with this; I reckon magixara should give us a supported option, but i'm guessing it is not a priority for them amongst all the other clamour for new stuff

once again see my first reply in this post
    Thanks. I guess I can live with it for now ... besides, getting ready to take a look at Graviton so I'll likely be away for a few days.