Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: A new plea for User Interface options other than black

I also have a strong preference for the light UI and am happy that I can still set up my custom bars etc. and use it. I have XDP11 so I hope this option still works in version 12 of Xara's product line.

This is how you can do it:
    1. Customize your setup using the default dark interface. When you tick the relevant boxes in the Windows/Control bars dialog you can also have the large buttons.
    2. Once you're done, do not use the ctrl-shft-alt-S combo but close the program and go to where your Xara program is installed. So in my case the path is: "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X11" (if you’re using the 32-bit version you have to go the “Program Files (x86)” directory).
    3. Locate "xaradark_theme.xml." Make a copy of the file and save it in a different directory (this is only for safekeeping) and change the name of the file anyway you like (I added "OUT" to the file name -- again, this is only for safekeeping).
    4. Now start up the program again. It will show the light-gray, default interface.

Good to know, handrawn. All the more reason why the Devs should consider an options tab to set most of the aspects of the UI, perhaps a number of color options for the surround, options for tool icons, etc. Even LibreOffice 5 has about 6 icon settings, although they offer no apparent ability to control the color of the overall UI. Serif has about 6 choices of overall UI colors in earlier editions of WebPlus, but dark/black was never one of them. In the Affinity series, however, they've gone for the dark/black UI, with no apparent ability to pick any light color.

If I'm in a rather dimly lit room, then I can work with the dark UI without too much difficulty. In a brightly lit room, it's tough going. I will take your advice on board, and be on the watch for rendering issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I also have a strong preference for the light UI and am happy that I can still set up my custom bars etc. and use it. I have XDP11 so I hope this option still works in version 12 of Xara's product line.

This is how you can do it:
    1. Customize your setup using the default dark interface. When you tick the relevant boxes in the Windows/Control bars dialog you can also have the large buttons.
    2. Once you're done, do not use the ctrl-shft-alt-S combo but close the program and go to where your Xara program is installed. So in my case the path is: "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X11" (if you’re using the 32-bit version you have to go the “Program Files (x86)” directory).
    3. Locate "xaradark_theme.xml." Make a copy of the file and save it in a different directory (this is only for safekeeping) and change the name of the file anyway you like (I added "OUT" to the file name -- again, this is only for safekeeping).
    4. Now start up the program again. It will show the light-gray, default interface.

Unfortunately, this does not work correctly
    While the program indeed starts in the light colour, most of the icons disappear.
    Maybe changing the values in the XML file would work ?.

Like many others I hate the black theme, I really cant see why Xara cant provide an option for colour choice.
    Also I think that the icons need updating, they are really old looking now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    When you tick the relevant boxes in the Windows/Control bars dialog you can also have the large buttons.
    which update version of XDP11 are you using? - I dont see the large button option any more.... I don't see anything in the dialog except the list and the five buttons to the right...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cbdiag.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	112683
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

ok I tried the xml renaming fix and that seems to work

@Brugie
    - did you try closing the program and reopening it again - the missing toolbars/icons may just be a rendering issue the first time it opens without the xml - this is in fact what happened for me, it seemed fine after reopening

btw - yes, wonder what would happen if you edited the colour values in the dark theme xml... hummmm.... EDIT - not much, you can change the default pasteboard colour and a couple of other things, but to change the skin need to edit the style sheets I guess... no suprise there really...
    Last edited by handrawn; 14 May 2016 at 02:13 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok I tried the xml renaming fix and that seems to work

@Brugie
    - did you try closing the program and reopening it again - the missing toolbars/icons may just be a rendering issue the first time it opens without the xml - this is in fact what happened for me, it seemed fine after reopening

btw - yes, wonder what would happen if you edited the colour values in the dark theme xml... hummmm.... EDIT - not much, you can change the default pasteboard colour and a couple of other things, but to change the skin need to edit the style sheets I guess... no suprise there really...
    Not all the interface colors are in the xml file. It's something that I have askedfor before.

Hi Mike - yes I just edited my post as you were posting... thanks
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yep--don't ya love cross-posting...

It would seem to me that the easiest means to accommodate people's desire for altering the UI color would have been to stuff all the color variables into the XML file. The only give a heck would be the icon format used in Xara products. I assume some colors/tones would work better than others would. But it would still give a degree of customization without seemingly being too much effort on Xara's part until such time they handle the issue properly.

That or make the light/dark UI actually supported and switchable without user hassle.

who said 'magix corporate branding'? nope not me, I never said that...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    which update version of XDP11 are you using? - I dont see the large button option any more.... I don't see anything in the dialog except the list and the five buttons to the right...

Name:	cbdiag.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	112683
    Xara Designer Pro X 11.2.5.42127.
    Concerning the large-button options, these show when the UI is light gray.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	112684