Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: MASTER PAGES - HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT?

Hi, I have a dropdown list of Master templates, what I do is when I have finished my basic template I save it in Save template under the file tab, then give it an appropriate name ( Construction- cover page). So when I need this template I open new under the file tab and it is listed with the other templates. I then save my template with the correct name ( ABC company V1) and then continue to add the additional website elements.

Ciao

Rly

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    OK. That is really weird. I have been a moderator here since around 2000 or whenever i/us became TalkGraphics and that is the first time I have seen this happen. To my own post. Must be built into the forum software. I cannot remember ever seen this happen to any post before.
    I had that happen to me a long time ago and wondered why at the time it was the same company spelled out in 12 above. I think zaphodeist is right on.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Ok, I can't really get my head around the problem GaryP has expressed here - my issue, not his.

I design a Theme (for a website) and I add all the repeating objects, include Guides, and a NavBar for three pages.
    One page is the landing page, one is a repeat page for new content and one is for Search so has a different styling.
    I would call all this my Design file.

As I develop my actual site, I add components and effects that suit its purpose and eventually I publish.

Some time later, I decide to reuse the Design so instead of cloning and deleting away existing detail, I decide to invent a Design Theme.

I make a folder and add my original Design file to the folder and ensure it has a .xar extension (you can change .web to .xar without damage).
    I also clone the Design file and delete all but the second page and add that to the folder as Blank.xar.
    Diooto for the third, calling it Search.xar.

Now I am on a roll.
    I save a generic image that has a special rollover that I tweaked and save that one image as another page, PictureRoll.xar.

I carry on adding features, button, icons, colour schemes, text blocks, ... - all as separate .xar pages into the Design folder.

When you then add your Design folder to the Local designs gallery, Xara scans it and creates a xarinfo folder and a catindex.txt file.

At this point, i think you have your Master Pages.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I rest my case Acorn.

There is a way of doing this which is to create individual pages that contain all the required elements for that specific master page and then as needed, create a duplicate page (no repeating objects however) for each instance needed. This in essence is master pages.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I rest my case Acorn.
    There is a way of doing this which is to create individual pages that contain all the required elements for that specific master page and then as needed, create a duplicate page (no repeating objects however) for each instance needed. This in essence is master pages.
    Gary, then I'm sure we are arguing over the exact same thing. Where would you store your Master Pages? Xara already has the mechanism to add the manifest of a folder to the gallery. Is not a collection of assets in the Local Designs gallery not a Master Page assembly? I can insert a page from it into my site design, or a button, ...

Perhaps we approach designing our sites differently to each other.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Is not a collection of assets in the Local Designs gallery not a Master Page assembly
    That's how I see it too.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Now make a change to your design. Does it ripple throughout the entire site?

That's what master pages do. They operate no different than master pages in page layout software. Want a global change? Make it on the master and all pages using that master page are instantly changed to reflect it. Want multiple master pages? Yep. Want to apply more than one master page to a particular page(s)? Yep. Oops. Now you need to change 50 pages of the site where the content is coming from a master page. Change the master(s) and it is done. Republish, done.

The present system is one reason I never used XDP for building "brochure" sites when I had to. It was far and away faster and easier in WebPlus.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gary, then I'm sure we are arguing over the exact same thing. Where would you store your Master Pages? Xara already has the mechanism to add the manifest of a folder to the gallery. Is not a collection of assets in the Local Designs gallery not a Master Page assembly? I can insert a page from it into my site design, or a button, ...

Perhaps we approach designing our sites differently to each other.
    Acorn
    The master page (MP) is saved within the site (with Serif, saved to the WPP file). You can even use more than one MP for a site page.

I understand what you are explaining doing (I think, so I must be wrong) and it's the long way round for what WP does while storing the verious pages within the site.

Fewer Steps + Quicker Access = Simpler Workflow ... just my 2 ¢ (cents) worth.

Acorn - My suggestion for master pages work-arounds is just that, a work-around.

You cannot now have repeating objects that change on just certain pages and not others. On master pages when you modify one object on a master page, it updates on pages only based on that master page. Layout the same. So your website can have a master page for the main pages, and for specific pages that require continuity but also require a different set of objects.

As Dijenga expressed it: Fewer Steps + Quicker Access = Simpler Workflow

And Mike summed it up beautifully.People who have used master pages understand what is missing by not having them.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Now make a change to your design. Does it ripple throughout the entire site?

That's what master pages do. They operate no different than master pages in page layout software. Want a global change? Make it on the master and all pages using that master page are instantly changed to reflect it. Want multiple master pages? Yep. Want to apply more than one master page to a particular page(s)? Yep. Oops. Now you need to change 50 pages of the site where the content is coming from a master page. Change the master(s) and it is done. Republish, done.

The present system is one reason I never used XDP for building "brochure" sites when I had to. It was far and away faster and easier in WebPlus.
    Yes, WP has a different use of the term "repeating objects" as I remember (haven't used it since v. X5 though).

Create an object (as with a brochure page), repeat the object (I did mine in a grid) and edit the content of each one (database? not sure, been 4 or 5 years) ... keeping the appearance uniform.