Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: ZBrush ...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Like others here I have played with the ZBrush demo. I have seriously considered buying it (especially since the price is going up any day now) but have been hesitating. Reason: The demo doesn't let you import other models. I wonder how effectively ZBrush can be used to create renderings of models created in other programs. Does anybody here have a registered version and experience working in it with imported models?

My interest would be to texture/paint/render architectural-type models. The examples at the ZBrush site focus on characters but I sense it might work well for what I'd like to do. The motorcycle renderings at their gallery are awesome - suggesting it works well on more hardlined subjects and not just the sculpted stuff.

Any advice would be appreciated. Attached is a ZBrush thingie I made some time ago.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zbrushbutton.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	18819  

Like others here I have played with the ZBrush demo. I have seriously considered buying it (especially since the price is going up any day now) but have been hesitating. Reason: The demo doesn't let you import other models. I wonder how effectively ZBrush can be used to create renderings of models created in other programs. Does anybody here have a registered version and experience working in it with imported models?

My interest would be to texture/paint/render architectural-type models. The examples at the ZBrush site focus on characters but I sense it might work well for what I'd like to do. The motorcycle renderings at their gallery are awesome - suggesting it works well on more hardlined subjects and not just the sculpted stuff.

Any advice would be appreciated. Attached is a ZBrush thingie I made some time ago.

Regards, Ross

Yes, I bought and registered ZBrush---yes, you can import 3D objects from other aps---it will import objects composed of quads and/or triangles. If the imported object has polygons with more than four sides, ZBrush will display an alert and then convert the polygons to three and four sided. You can then modify it as you would anything created in ZBrush...it will also export objects in the .obj format and automatically chooses quad polygons. It can export also in .dxf format and automatically chooses triangular polygons. There are other things it can do as well in export such as setting polygons to quads or triangels regardless of the export format, or include uv co-ordinates in exported .obj output. The star tool (Polymesh 3D Tool)is the one used to import meshes from other aps. With polymesh objects you can sub-divide the polygons in an area that you wish to add more surface detail to later.

I hope this answers your question...these facts are from the ZBrush manual. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=3001938225
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Ross, I own ZBrush too, and exports and imports works fine. I've chiefly exported things to render them in C4D. Better buy this great app NOW, as it's $299 price for the 1.23 will be raised $100 when the 1.5 is released very soon - and you will get the 1.5 upgrade for free! There are rumorts out that the 1.5 is a great upgrade, perhaps being more like a full 2.0 version. In August I will be reviewing ZBrush 1.5 in my column at www.graphics.com.
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

the Crow & the Klaus. I just purchased ZBrush. Now hopefully I can create something nice combining it with SketchUp - my intuitive sketch-based 3d modeling program. (Klaus, you should definitely review SketchUp. A truly great product).

Thanks guys.

Regards, Ross

Ah, Ross, you sure know how to take advice! :-)

Yes, I have the demo of SketchUp, and I plan to review it this fall. Like ZBrush, it's a brilliant and unique app. I just wish it had a more realistic renderer than that Donald Duck renderer!

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

You will look back upon acquiring this ap as one of your best choices---you'll not regret it!!! You're going to have a blast with it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] !
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain