Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Where do I set the language of a page?

Hello,
    I have a multilingual site.
    For SEO reasons it seems to be important to determine the language of the text on every page.
    However I did not find a language setting on the page properties window and all pages are referring to English :

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

So how do I set the language of the page?

Kind regards,
    Joris

Default Re: Where do I set the language of a page?

Quote Originally Posted by JorisVdB View Post
    Hello,
    I have a multilingual site.
    For SEO reasons it seems to be important to determine the language of the text on every page.
    However I did not find a language setting on the page properties window and all pages are referring to English :

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

So how do I set the language of the page?

Kind regards,
    Joris
    Joris, you would add
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="fr" />
    or similar to each page's Web Properties > Page > HTML code (head).

I don't know how to add this for specific HTML tags in any HTML5 element (e.g., <span lang="fr">...</span>) in Xara.
    Perhaps Xara could extend the Names functionality to include HtmlAttribute_<attribute>=<value> or HtmlAttribute_<attributeset>={<value>; <value>; <value>; ...} sometime soon?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

or similar to each page's Web Properties > Page > HTML code (head).
    Slightly quicker is Web Properties > Website > HTML code (head).
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Slightly quicker is Web Properties > Website > HTML code (head).
    Sorry Egg, OP stated " a multilingual site."
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ah! I was thinking he was creating several websites in several languages, not one page in several languages
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Ah! I was thinking he was creating several websites in several languages, not one page in several languages
    Regardless of what might be wanted, the approach of added Meta to the page / site is what's needed,
    Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Joris, you would add or similar to each page's Web Properties > Page > HTML code (head).

I don't know how to add this for specific HTML tags in any HTML5 element (e.g., <span lang="fr">...</span>) in Xara.
    Perhaps Xara could extend the Names functionality to include HtmlAttribute_<attribute>=<value> or HtmlAttribute_<attributeset>={<value>; <value>; <value>; ...} sometime soon?

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn. I have implemented your suggestion:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="fr" />
    and yes, Xara should integrate the possibility to set the language to every page. I don't understand why even after 11 versions they still did not. It is a basic setting that always must be set.
    @egg: Yes it is a multilingual site with different languages in one website. So general settings won't do.
    Thank you all for your advise.
    Joris

Joris, good luck with your site,
    Acorn