Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Placeholder text ... looking for a good (Ipsum Lorem) source

Was thinking about trying my hand at creating from scratch ... and was looking for somewhere to get placeholder text (lorum ipsum, etc. etc.) for the frames while I try to get the look I want.

The software I had been using, all I did was right click on a text frame and tell the program to fill with placeholder text and it was done.

I don't see that option in Xara, and haven't found a program to produce it. I did find a website http://www.blindtextgenerator.com/lorem-ipsum but would prefer something "offline".
    Last edited by Acorn; 01 May 2016 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Clarified Thread Title

Default Re: Placeholder text ... looking for a good source

I don't know of any standalone lorum ipsum generators off hand. You can simply have one create more paragraphs than what you typically would use, then copy into a text editor.

I have wanted this in XDP from the first version I used. I either go to one of my bookmarked sites, or as is typical I am also running something that does insert variations on lorum ipsum, I just create a new frame, fill it, copy/paste it into XDP.

Ctrl+Shift+L
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

John - Yep, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    Ctrl+Shift+L
    Thanks. Could find nothing of it in the help files.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

just to expand on the Crtl +L short cut, Xara products have had this capability for years. It works with all 3 ways of inserting text. It creates standard Lorem ipsum text

If you want to add some fun to your filler text here is a list of 12 online generators that can be used to create lorem ipsum style filler text with fun themes, from sweet to savoury to TV and authors. https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/12-...text-more-fun/ The ones I tested were a simple copy and paste operation to get the generated text into Designer Pro.

Note: I do realize the OP wanted something offline but it would be quite easy to use these and other online generators you can find to create a library of text areas, text columns and text strings that could be added to your designs gallery and just dropped on the page when needed.
    Last edited by angelize; 28 April 2016 at 02:07 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Ctrl+Shift+L
    Oh yeah, thanks.

I always forget about that. It's next to useless unless one likes pressing that key combination over and over in order to fill even a small text box.

I just hold down ctrl/shift and rattle the "L" :-D Quicker than using a third party doofer and copy/paste imho
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I just hold down ctrl/shift and rattle the "L" :-D Quicker than using a third party doofer and copy/paste imho
    But not any faster than having it work correctly in the first place.

I know this is on-line but in the DuckDuckGo search box enter "2500 paragraphs of Lorem Ipsum": https://duckduckgo.com/?q=2500+parag...psum&ia=answer.
    Expand the results and re-click the top link if you need more for a big book.

It is interesting that this produces over 110 pages copied into XDPX11, and now XWD365P, using the A4 1-column template (9pt Open Sans).
    On my PC, it takes 22 seconds to load and 10 seconds to preview, 2 seconds to save and 4 seconds to update if there are small changes.

I call my file Soak Text. Pun intended.

MS Word paste take 6 seconds and totally effortless to add characters or blank pages.

Looking forward to the improved speed of text handling, like this, in the DTP element of XDP365X.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat