Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FTP profiles back up

Good morning all!

On the back of my earlier problem with improting photos, I encountered another after reinstalling ProX11 - all of my site FTP profiles were gone.

Luckily I could recreate them from my laptop backup, but when the new version comes out presumably when I update all of the profiles will be lost again.

I have tried looking at the Xara files on my pc and cant seem to find a folder containing the info and earlier posts on the forum suggest that the info is in the registry.

Do any of you have an easy way of backing up this info?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: FTP profiles back up

Hi Nobbyy, This sounds like an issue I've also had. I've had my profiles disappear too. Sometimes it happens after a program crash or AV error other times I don't know what the trigger was. But I've been able to get my profiles to come back often by restarting the program or sometimes it takes a restart of my computer.

I've been in touch with Xara support and until now I've been the only one to report this and no one there could replicate the issue.

To answer your other question yes the information is in the registry, but do be careful poking around in there, if you aren't comfortable with going into the registry then you shouldn't.

I'm going to send a link to this thread to Xara support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Angelize - many thanks for taking the time to respond.

It is probably my lack of experience with FTP that makes the loss of the profiles such a concerning issue, but it would be really useful to me to be able to copy the profiles from my desktop machine to my laptop for additional resiliance in case of IT failure.

Although for experienced users recreating the profiles should be reasonably straightforward and quick, if you have lots of sites potentially placed with different hosts this time factor will be multiplied so I can see value even for experts.

Thanks for raising this with Xara - hope they look on this request favourably!

@nobbyy, you could use FileZilla and FTP a local Export instead of Xara Publish: https://filezilla-project.org.
    The Xara site server details can all be exported themselves as XML and saved elsewhere.

I save mine into Dropbox for true portability.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Have just upgraded to Prox365 and none of my existing site FTP profiles have 'pulled through'.

Any update from Xara support on this issue please?

When you open a site created in a previous version, your FTP settings for that site should import with the site. If so, save these as a new profile.

I totally agree Profiles should be saved in a file that can be transferred from one version to the next.

Good morning

Many thanks for your support and suggestion Gary.

If I open a previous site where I have saved the FTP settings - they are all there, but it does ask me for the site password again.

I did run through all of my existing sites and do this, but I now have to do it on my laptop as well, not a major problem, but it does take a bit of time and does have the susceptibility inputting the wrong password.

I did run through all of my existing sites and do this, but I now have to do it on my laptop as well, not a major problem, but it does take a bit of time and does have the susceptibility inputting the wrong password.
    Totally agree. This has been suggested numerous times to Xara's developers. I have a feeling if it were an easy thing to do, they would have done it. But it never hurts to flag it again. I'm going to move this thread to Dear Xara and hope someone sees it and makes it happen. Same thing with backing up custom toolbars.

Thanks again Gary - lets hope that Xara take this real issue on board and resolve it.

Hi Nobbyy,

This was targeted at saving between versions, but also could be used as a backup? See here for my article on saving your Publish settings between versions - http://www.xaramarketplace.com/artic...n_versions.htm .

Thanks XM_ben