Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Anyone know of a progarm where I can draw freehand vector curves (in layers) and do simple color fills, and then save just the lines to ****.dxf?
    IP

Anyone know of a progarm where I can draw freehand vector curves (in layers) and do simple color fills, and then save just the lines to ****.dxf?
    IP

I'm not sure about Corel products, but i believe Adobe Illustrator can do that.

Kind of an expensive app to buy just for that purpose though. Doh! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    IP

You can export from CorelDraw (10) to dxf, but when I tried to read back the file, it didn´t exist the same as the original picture. So, I don´t depend much upon Corel´s ability to export dxf.
    Illustrator seems to work otherwise fine, but it doesn´t keep layers.
    Mark, yes, Illustrator has it´s price, but it´s much cheaper than AutoCAD [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Ataki on January 12, 2002 at 23:44.]
    IP

hehe, ya true Ataki.

I just wish XaraX exported as DXF. It's a fraction of the price with at least 2x the speed, and ease of use.

Maybe in a future version we'll see this format added.
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Not yet. A handful of dedicated Xara users have been asking for the capability for years. Maybe in the next version.

I'd like dxf import to Xara so I can more easily work with autocad lines. I take it that for 3d modelers a DXF export would be more benificial. Perhaps it's time for a few more emails to Xara Ltd.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

If I'm not mistaken, turbocad standard (price $100) offers dxf.

check it out at: http://www.turbocad.com/

there is even a free Turbocad 2D (see menu at the left) and it has save as dxf ability. I downloaded and installed it to check out, but it asks to register within 30 days.
    Unfortunately, there is no simple .ai, .xar or .cdr import, only dwg and dxf and some specific turbocad extensions...

there is also Smartdraw and Autosketch, and,...
    http://www.smartdraw.com/products/sm...gram_specs.htm

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on January 13, 2002 at 14:48.]
    IP

oh ya, that's right Erik, i forgot about SmartDraw... but does that use Vector? Or Raster? Can't remember. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ya Ross, dxf export would be a lot more useful for the 3D crowd i believe. DXF is a fairly weak format, when saving out as from a 3D app.
    IP

I suppose it's a vactor app. But I'm not keen on installing trials and uninstalling them later.

I did install the turboCAD free version, but I had to register and there was no place to indicate that it was this free version (?) and when I tried to send it, my PC froze with no other option than restart...

The prog itself looks ok and not too difficult to use, but I will probably unsinstall it because of this tricky register thing.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    IP