Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: My thoughts on the Xara Web Designer 365 subscription service

Quote Originally Posted by TheCapn View Post
    The way I understand it, when you purchase the latest version of XWD 365, you are getting new or upgraded features released up to that point. Then, over the course of a year, you will receive new updates as they become available. Here is where I believe the confusion lies. Until you renew your subscription you have NOT actually paid for any of the new updates or features, as one might think. While the updates are initially provided at no charge, they are not really "free", or included as part of the original purchase. Xara is providing them in advance of a yearly update. The benefit is that you no longer have to wait for new updates. If you find the updates useful, then you will have the opportunity to pay for them when your subscription is up for renewal, just like when you purchased the yearly upgrades. If you don't care for any of the new updates, then you won't be missing anything if you choose not to renew your subscription. However, unlike Adobe CC, you will still be able to use the 365 upgraded version of your software, including all the bugs fixes and any new or improved features that were included at the time of your purchase the year before.
    John, all this part is wrong. You have 365 Day Update Guarantee cover and get application updates and bug fixes regularly. You keep these as part of your local installation. The only downside is a re-install or fresh install reverts to what you purchased or what's on the optional CD at the time of purchase. So you can lose essential bugs fixes and have to go cap in hand to Xara. Now, you don't have much information to decide to accept or reject these application updates. Skipping even one may prevent other updates and even bug fixes being activated. So you decide to accept them as it is Xara offering them and you've paid for them so why not? When you then come to use the application, which is so intuitive that you inadvertently include some of the new functionality in your (website) design. When your cover is over and you've reverted to your purchased version for whatever reason, fate or choice, you now cannot edit your design for these objects or functions.
    Now the day before cover expires, you happen to be in the right place and download all the content into your Local Designs gallery. Then all is sweet. When reality takes over, you find you can no longer access any content and that's it. Xara has also 'helped' by removing the Find function from the application.

Xara has removed access to any on-line content when you are out of cover. This is a "subscription model that completely disables or removes the software, or any part thereof, if you stop paying", which you correctly identified.

Xara has not stated any of this is a preview.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks to everyone for clarifying things. I thought I understood how it worked but apparently not. As much as I would like to have the parallax and other features included with this release, I will refrain from "upgrading" until some things have changed and the subscription model becomes more user-friendly.

On another note, has anyone noticed that software companies tend adopt the subscription model when most, if not all, of the competition is gone?

has anyone noticed that software companies tend adopt the subscription model when most, if not all, of the competition is gone?

Xara has plenty of competition. I don't feel that's a factor in this.

Adobe had the professional agencies well locked-in before they jumped to a subscription model. They had little by way of competition.

TheCapn - your first post is indeed a pretty accurate description of the 365 service. Basically you get a perpetual license to the software current on the day you purchase (so today that would be 12.0.0, which includes all the new features listed on http://www.xara.com/web-designer/whats-new/) plus for the next 365 days you get access to the online services (Online Content Catalog, M Hosting, Xara Online Designer) and any updates released. However what has clearly confused some people is that at the end of 365 days, we don't actually remove those updates from the installation(s) that you have at that time, they continue indefinitely and it's only when you install on a new computer that it falls back to 12.0.0 (or whatever version was current when you purchased), if of course you haven't upgraded/renewed again. And the other important thing to note is that the Online Content Catalog includes all the content, templates etc, so in order to retain access to them after the online services end you need to download them from the Content Catalog to the Local Designs Gallery.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    However what has clearly confused some people is that at the end of 365 days, we don't actually remove those updates from the installation(s) that you have at that time, they continue indefinitely and it's only when you install on a new computer that it falls back to 12.0.0 (or whatever version was current when you purchased), if of course you haven't upgraded/renewed again.
    I think that's the problem Kate. It's not a misunderstanding at all. It's an understanding that should anyone wish to upgrade their computer, change it's configuration, move to another machine or just have some hardware problem, after their subscription ends, they will lose whatever new functionality they've grown accustomed to since the initial purchase, and possibly (it's not so clear), any bug fixes too.

I understand it's a tricky one for Xara. The potential loss of any bug fixes (let alone the inconvenience of losing new features), is what is different to what happens right now.

I think before this scheme was introduced people had a fairly easy choice to make about upgrading. Now it's not so clear if you think you won't continue the subscription. If you continue to subscribe then these factors don't matter so much.

It's a lot for Xara to ask people to consider that new features introduced during the subscription period are in fact pre-release features for the the next version, or that they would lose any bug fixes.

I know most people will have the same machine at the start of the subscription and way after, but a lot of people won't.

It's a tricky choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think that's the problem Kate. It's not a misunderstanding at all. It's an understanding that should anyone wish to upgrade their computer, change it's configuration, move to another machine or just have some hardware problem, after their subscription ends, they will lose whatever new functionality they've grown accustomed to since the initial purchase, and possibly (it's not so clear), any bug fixes too.

I understand it's a tricky one for Xara. The potential loss of any bug fixes (let alone the inconvenience of losing new features), is what is different to what happens right now.

I think before this scheme was introduced people had a fairly easy choice to make about upgrading. Now it's not so clear if you think you won't continue the subscription. If you continue to subscribe then these factors don't matter so much.

It's a lot for Xara to ask people to consider that new features introduced during the subscription period are in fact pre-release features for the the next version, or that they would lose any bug fixes.

I know most people will have the same machine at the start of the subscription and way after, but a lot of people won't.

It's a tricky choice.
    The alternative though would be to not give anyone access to these features until next year's release ie the current model!

I think I've mentioned elsewhere that any relevant bug fixes issued will be included in the version you fall back to, we will just update the default download.
    Kate Moir

Yes, I understand the position Kate.

Imagine you bought microsoft office for your laptop at home. MS updated it all year, you made use of fancy gizmos and they were great. At the end of the year you were really happy and didn't want to go and continue getting new features for a while. Then your hard drive dies, you get it fixed and you have a load of documents you can no longer use because they have new stuff that didn't exist when you loaded your software at the start. Your only way out is to pay up again.

I have software that I bought at version 3.0. Now it's at version 3.7 and has loads of new features and bug fixes. When the company releases 4.0, they won't be disabling me from getting all of the updates to 3.0. If my drive dies, my download will be 3.7 not 3.0.

Xara is offering an unprecedented hybrid subscription scheme that is worse than many vendors already offer as a matter of course for the standard purchase model.

The bottom line is that people cannot be confident that their subscription purchase will be usable in the long term. A hardware change could render their documents unusable once they are out of subscription.

You can understand why people are wondering if this is a good scheme or not, Kate?

Two things to bear in mind though. Firstly we are already offering an upgraded version with new features (see http://www.xara.com/web-designer/whats-new/) which you might call this year's features, which we have worked on over the last year. You can buy a perpetual license to that upgraded version now. But in addition we are trying to find a way that gives access to next year's features now, rather than sitting on them for a year and selling them as v13. It's not good for us or our customers that features that are currently fashionable are sitting in a cupboard (for example let's just imagine parallax scrolling sitting on the Done shelf for 10 months ..) so we'd like to release them as we finish them. But at some point and somehow we have to be paid for this year of development. So yes if you don't renew and your two installations no longer work you will indeed lose those features. But secondly I'd mention that if you are uncomfortable with that you could just reject the updates, wait till next year and purchase the next upgrade. Seems to me you are losing the benefits but it does give you a process more akin to the old v11 one.

There are other considerations of course, there's more info on the 365 Guarantee at http://www.xara.com/update-guarantee/
    Kate Moir

at some point and somehow we have to be paid for this year of development.

That should really be factored in to the purchase price for the base version. It's what other companies do. I guess the company psyche is that the cost of the new version = costs of producing it. Maybe the cost of a new version should be the cost of producing that version and of updating it throughout the year?