Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My thoughts on the Xara Web Designer 365 subscription service

Like many others, I was apprehensive and somewhat confused about the new Xara 365 subscription service, as I am vehemently opposed to any subscription-based software. While I am not an expert on XWD by any means, I hope I can clear up any confusion regarding the current subscription service as I see it. Feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding anything.

First of all, I despise any subscription model that completely disables or removes the software, or any part thereof, if you stop paying (e.g. Adobe CC). I feel this is an extortion tactic that condemns longtime and loyal users to perpetual software slavery.

However, I do not believe this is what XWD 365 is proposing.

The way I understand it, when you purchase the latest version of XWD 365, you are getting new or upgraded features released up to that point. Then, over the course of a year, you will receive new updates as they become available. Here is where I believe the confusion lies. Until you renew your subscription you have NOT actually paid for any of the new updates or features, as one might think. While the updates are initially provided at no charge, they are not really "free", or included as part of the original purchase. Xara is providing them in advance of a yearly update. The benefit is that you no longer have to wait for new updates. If you find the updates useful, then you will have the opportunity to pay for them when your subscription is up for renewal, just like when you purchased the yearly upgrades. If you don't care for any of the new updates, then you won't be missing anything if you choose not to renew your subscription. However, unlike Adobe CC, you will still be able to use the 365 upgraded version of your software, including all the bugs fixes and any new or improved features that were included at the time of your purchase the year before.

Plus, as a subscriber, you can try the new features without having to buy the update first, or using a trial version, as was previously the case.

Also, a lot of users are concerned about what will happen if their hard drive crashes, or they change computers, etc. Xara has made it clear that in any of these scenarios, you will always be able to use the 365 upgrade version that you purchased (complete with bug fixes), regardless of whether you renew your subscription. Again, what you will not be able to use if you do not renew your subscription, are the features that Xara provided AFTER you purchased your version of the 365 upgrade. So you are not losing anything you have paid for. Remember, the new updates wouldn't have even been available until the next yearly update, which you would have had to pay for anyway.

Of course, any template, widget or web packs that have been paid for, or provided as a bonus with a purchase of XWD, should be accessible in perpetuity, whether or not you continue your subscription. If not, then that is a major problem that Xara should change.

As far as losing access to the Online Content Catalog or M Hosting, since I am unfamiliar with either of those, I cannot comment on that. But if their use was free and unrestricted in previous versions of XWD, then it should continue that way, regardless of whether or not you continue your subscription. If that is not the case, then it is definitely something Xara should address.

Again, I believe the biggest misconception about the Xara 365 subscription service is that users feel they have already paid for future updates, when in reality Xara is merely providing them in advance of what were previously yearly updates.

I honestly think this 365 subscription may be a good thing for both sides, as long as Xara does not abuse it by disabling things that have been paid for by the user, release few or insignificant updates within the course of a year, or raise the subscription rate well above the traditional pricing structure of the previous yearly upgrades.

- John

Default Re: My thoughts on the Xara Web Designer 365 subscription service

I'm not certain, but my understanding is once the subscription runs out and is not renewed, you stop receiving new updates. I don't think that Xara is going to take anything back. You just will not get any new features.

Please step in and correct me if I am wrong.

Gary that is correct with the present exception of a reinstall or a move to a new computer. Then you lose all features released after your purchase date that came out during the 365 day subscription period.

So as long as you never buy a new computer or have a crash or even swap out hardware on your computer, it is all hunky dory.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I'm not certain, but my understanding is once the subscription runs out and is not renewed, you stop receiving new updates. I don't think that Xara is going to take anything back. You just will not get any new features.

Please step in and correct me if I am wrong.

Well, if that's the case then it's even better than what I assumed, which was that you lost all updates if you didn't renew.

Read what Mike just wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Read what Mike just wrote.
    I did. I assume Xara will fix that as it doesn't seem right. Especially if the user has kept the subscription up to date.

It's what they have repeated over and over. Will.it change? That's a who knows. It is the way it is right now.

I'm sure you could contact Xara and get it straightened out. It may be a slight hassle but it's doable. I assume if it happens often enough Xara would fix it, if for no other reason than to save themselves the aggravation.

Xara, specifically Kate, has made their position very clear in the announcement thread. At first not even the bug fix updates were to be included. That changed (I'm sure she would say, clarified) later in the announcement thread.

One problem, other than that this subscription hating person (Dijenga) doesn't have any concerns.

My problem? I purchased the download version, so no CD. And no, I don't want to purchase a CD in addition to having what I've already burned. That being said, seeing the selection of templates etc. that come with the downloadable version, it's very disappointing.

Why not a second download of content (templates, widgets, etc.) to those willing to do the downloads? I ask this question because you have to download these now either one at a time or you can download "all templates" or "all widgets" but you still don't have a central resource if your computer falters.

In any case, YOU ARE STILL DOWNLOADING. Being able to download the complete package as a single download to burn onto a CD would be so nice ... and it would be (IMO) a bit more of a goodwill gesture than "download them and hope your computer never dies".

Sure, I can probably dig them out of the folders where they are saved, but it would be so much more convenient and make me feel a bit better about my purchase.

It might even make me more inclined to drop my current software and renew this one every year. I'm just too old and crotchety to even dream of going back to writing HTML.