Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dyslexia Center Revamp

Here is a redo of a site I do at no charge for a local dyslexia center. They are a great organization who help people/kids with dyslexia, and train people to be tutors/teachers who can handle dyslexic kids, all at no charge. It is a Masonic charity. I originally took this on as a good deed but also because my Dad was a lifelong Mason( 50+ years )and he wanted me to do it. Sadly I lost Dad in 2014 but I am still doing the site for the center at no charge in his memory.

I am pretty happy with this one.

http://www.seacoastlearningcenter.org/
    WD10 Premium
    Photo & Graphic Designer 2013

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Dyslexia Center Revamp

Very nice site, well done. My condolences on the loss of your father, I'm sure he would be proud.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Nice and professional looking website. Congratulations.

A few suggestions: Only use italics when you want to highlight something, for instance when quoting someone; use a better banner picture on the "About Us" page; for consistency's sake, place the directions on a separate page.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Nice and professional looking website. Congratulations.

A few suggestions: Only use italics when you want to highlight something, for instance when quoting someone; use a better banner picture on the "About Us" page; for consistency's sake, place the directions on a separate page.
    Just so I am 100% clear in your comment, are you talking "quotation marks" or italic style text? There should be no italic style text on the site as I used Tahoma font this time which does not support it( purposely ). I did copy some info off the old site and it may have had some italic style text as they used it a LOT in the original info they gave me. I used it as little as I could but they always were after me to put it back. The client is always right so... There shouldn't be any italic style text now though? If you are seeing italic style text could you please let me know where so I can fix it. I don't see any in my Xara document nor on my computers or cell so...?

If you meant "quotation marks" I can't do much with that. I have to present the info as given to me by the client. Writing styles vary greatly so the way they do something may not be the same way I, you, or others would. Not much I can do about the use of "quotation marks" in the info I am given. Personally, I limit the use of "quotation marks" to important info like the title of an event, testimonials/feedback, etc... as you talk of. Could you please be a little more specific and maybe give me some locations as to where/what you are referring to if you mean there are incorrect uses of "quotation marks"?

I was given the photo on the About Us page and specifically asked to use it. I know it is not great but it isn't too bad. They don't really have any photos of the inside of and people at their center. It was an act of God getting that one photo due to their privacy issues( I think CIA clearance would have been easier )so I kind of have to use it. It is a real photo of the center and kids vs stock photos like I use pretty much everywhere else. It is a hard place to take photos in too as it is small and that makes it hard to do it( I worked with that photo a long time to get it as good as it is ). I am working with them to get permission so I can come and take some decent photos of the place and kids/teachers. If that works out I will try and replace that one but for now I sort of have to use it and IMO that is the best location to do so.

One of my personal 'style" things is directions on the contact page. IMO it is a common sense place for them. On this one I am going to leave it as is even if others disagree with the placement.

I appreciate the feedback very much. Thank you. Nothing said ^^^ is done in any kind of anger. Just asking questions and explaining. If you can let me know where/if you saw italic style text I would appreciate it as that needs to go I agree 100%. I didn't purposely add any italic style text and don't see any so I need direction. Thanks again.
    WD10 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by gsthunder View Post
    There shouldn't be any italic style text now though? If you are seeing italic style text could you please let me know where so I can fix it. I don't see any in my Xara document nor on my computers or cell so...?
    Ain't that funny. This is what I see in Chrome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	112455  

Thumbs up Re: Dyslexia Center Revamp

WOW! What I love about what your design is it is clean, easy to navigate and the content is provided in a straight forward manner.

As someone who is moderately dyslexic, enough so to learn to spell dyslexic, I appreciate this.

My motto is: DYSLEXICS OF THE WORLD, UNTIE!

It doesn't do that for me in Chrome( desktop, laptop, mobile devices ). I did a search online and looks like it is not unheard of for this to happen in GC if the font file in question gets lost or corrupted I guess. I see threads about this dating back to the mid 2000's with Chrome. I used Tahoma on this site. Maybe your Tahoma font is corrupted or the normal version is missing? I definitely see why you said something. That would be awful! No italic style font on the site at all though so something is off in Chrome on your end.

This link might help you out...

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comm...talics_for_all
    WD10 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    WOW! What I love about what your design is it is clean, easy to navigate and the content is provided in a straight forward manner.

As someone who is moderately dyslexic, enough so to learn to spell dyslexic, I appreciate this.

My motto is: DYSLEXICS OF THE WORLD, UNTIE!
    Thank you. It means a lot to me that you like it.

Have you ever seen this? Might help you out some...

https://www.dyslexiefont.com/en/
    WD10 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Very nice site, well done. My condolences on the loss of your father, I'm sure he would be proud.
    Thank you for that!
    WD10 Premium

At 74 I have learned to deal with it. If I dial a phone number and get the wrong number I just transpose some of the numbers.