Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Password protected pages

Hi there,
    Apologies if this has come up with the new release already (I'm not very technically minded when it comes to this). I used to use Incomedia to build websites and Xara eclipses it in every way...bar one... It was an absolute synch to password protect areas of my website so that users had to sign up for my website. I'm currently trying to make a website which has a quite essential password protected area so that people use my product but I've no idea if this has finally been included in 365. I found a page which said this...

Extras
    - Industry-specific website templates
    - Create interactive web presentations
    - Password protection for websites
    - Including 2000 MB webspace, a domain name of your choice and 5 email accounts*

Does 'password protection for websites' mean accessing it to edit online, or is it what I'm looking for where users have to stick in a password they've been sent to access sections of the website to use?

Incomedia had this in 2006 so I'm hoping it's now native to Xara.

Hope this is ok to post.
    Yours,
    Robert

Default Re: Password protected pages

Hi Robert. This question has been asked widely on TG. Copy & Paste ALL of the text in the next paragraph into Google. (Don't click the link in the text, that doesn't work) and read away

site:www.talkgraphics.com/ + password protect
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

Thanks everyone. I had hoped it had now been added as a feature to the new version of XWD. The Incomedia option was a simple 'click to password protect this page' rather than a workaround. I'll certainly look into them (the coffee cup version seems like it might be the best option).
    Thanks,
    Robert

I can't say how Incomedia made this feature work. To the best of my knowledge it's a server side action not a feature of web design software. Does your web host supply you with cpanel or something similar? Most do these days. Setting up password protected pages is very simple using this method.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Robert

If you use Xara Hosting, you can add password protection rather easily. See the bottom of the page of my first look review for Designer Pro X11. I am fairly certain this exists for WD365 as well. http://xaragroup.magix.net/XDP11/page-3.htm

I create a folder on the host using Filezilla, and upload the content.
    I log into the host dashboard and password-protect the folder.
    I update the website with the new information and publish it.

Thank you all for your help. Apologies also for not replying. My website took a major change in direction and I'm still to come back to this but I really appreciate your help.

Let us know how it turns out.

Have a look at this:

www.wikihow.com slash Password-Protect-a-Web-Page
    Last edited by Acorn; 13 June 2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Decoupled link - I would avoid this approach at all costs. It can be hacked in seconds.