Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What's the difference? Xara v Magix

I am currently still able to purchase a license key for web designer premium v11. I can purchase a Magix Web Designer Premium v11, and I can also purchase a Xara Web Designer Premium v11, is there any problems associated with purchasing from Magix version, would I still be able to use the key to upgrade next year to 365 on the Xara website, or would I need to upgrade through the Magix website? Would the Serial key be valid at both sites? I do realise that Magix owns Xara, but currently Magix.com/GB has Web Designer Premium v11 for sale and not 365, many thanks.

Default Re: What's the difference? Xara v Magix

Hi,
    Magix has the distribution rights to Xara products, but I don't believe they own Xara Products they are still owned and programmed by Xara.com.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Not true, Jim. Several years ago, Xara was acquired by Magix, a German based software company. http://www.magix.com/us/

Magix specialized in audio and video editing software and by acquiring Xara added graphics to their stable of products.

In theory, Xara operates pretty much as its own company. Magix and Xara versions of the same products should be identical as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Not true, Jim. Several years ago, Xara was acquired by Magix, a German based software company. http://www.magix.com/us/

Magix specialized in audio and video editing software and by acquiring Xara added graphics to their stable of products.

In theory, Xara operates pretty much as its own company. Magix and Xara versions of the same products should be identical as far as I know.
    Thanks Gary, yes, I think you're right about the products being identical, it's just whether or not I can use the serial code/key in the same way through both sites or do I need to stick with the one where it was purchased from. However, I may not need to worry about it, fingers crossed, as Kate Moir is about to confirm whether or not the Design Gallery's content i.e. Navbars, clipart etc. will also be included on the backup CD so I can have a fully functioning programme if I do need to reinstall after not renewing 365, I do hope so, as I'd much prefer to upgrade to v12 from v10 than a smaller step to v11.

Personally I think it's asking for trouble buying a Magix branded product and expecting support/discounts from Xara.

My understanding is that if you buy from Magix, your support route will be through their channels. I would expect your upgrade route will be the same.

I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Personally I think it's asking for trouble buying a Magix branded product and expecting support/discounts from Xara.

My understanding is that if you buy from Magix, your support route will be through their channels. I would expect your upgrade route will be the same.

I could be wrong.
    Hi Paul

You're right, I have an old copy of Magix WD v6 registered to me and I've just tried something, the serial is accepted on the Magix site but is not valid on the Xara site, so, as you say, there's no cross pollination so to speak.

They are the same products. The way it works, more or less, is that Xara provides support on the English language versions and Magix on the non-English language versions. If you have an English language v7 or later then you should automatically get the upgrade discount in the Xara store, regardless of where you bought the original. If it's English v6 and earlier and you bought it from Magix, well then you would need to contact Xara sales (xara.com/contact) and they would take a hammer to the database and make the upgrade discount work. Upgrade discounts won't work in the Xara store if you have a non-English version.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    They are the same products. The way it works, more or less, is that Xara provides support on the English language versions and Magix on the non-English language versions. If you have an English language v7 or later then you should automatically get the upgrade discount in the Xara store, regardless of where you bought the original. If it's English v6 and earlier and you bought it from Magix, well then you would need to contact Xara sales (xara.com/contact) and they would take a hammer to the database and make the upgrade discount work. Upgrade discounts won't work in the Xara store if you have a non-English version.
    Thanks Kate for the clarification.
    Last edited by jacobitejake; 21 April 2016 at 05:03 PM.