Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Formatting data from a spreadsheet into a page

Quote Originally Posted by penmore View Post
    I've just checked it on my machine - you will have to juggle with page length, placeholder length and also the placeholder window in which you paste the code. Resize the length of that window until you can get the 100 rows in.
    OK.
    Give me a clue on "placeholder window"?

I was under the impression (erroneously?) that I create a rectangle, adjust page length & placeholder length, then use webproperties>placeholder to create the placeholder and use "html code body" to paste the data into?
    Is it this "placeholder window" that's preventing pasting the entire clipboard contents into the "html code body"?

Sorry, perhaps my bad name - yes, the window you paste the html code into.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pastewin.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	112439
    If you haven't the ability to generate your own ideas - don't pinch mine.

If in doubt, read the manual/help files

I've created three placeholders (although I think I might need four or five). What I can't manage to do is to get the three lined up to make them appear as one continuous table.
    For example, I have placeholder three located overlapping entirely placeholder two, in order to get them display anywhere near in the correct order. Tried altering the placeholder sizes to compensate, two are 500px, another 300px. I still can't get them to line up.

If I could paste all the data into one placeholder, that would maybe be alright, but as I said before, there seems to be a limit as to how much data I can paste into one placeholder.

I'm not sure this idea is as practical as I first thought, unfortunately.

It's quite straight forward using Google Sheets. Here's an example. Once set up in Xara you never need to touch it again. All the editing is done in Google Drive which updates the folder every 5 minutes once a change is made.

Edit: Cross posting. There is no limit. As you can see this placeholder holds 100 rows Here's a link to a online example. Note that FireFox does mess the display slightly (by adding scroll bars) but IE Chrome & Opera are fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 20 April 2016 at 01:17 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Hine View Post
    I've created three placeholders (although I think I might need four or five). What I can't manage to do is to get the three lined up to make them appear as one continuous table.
    For example, I have placeholder three located overlapping entirely placeholder two, in order to get them display anywhere near in the correct order. Tried altering the placeholder sizes to compensate, two are 500px, another 300px. I still can't get them to line up.

If I could paste all the data into one placeholder, that would maybe be alright, but as I said before, there seems to be a limit as to how much data I can paste into one placeholder.

I'm not sure this idea is as practical as I first thought, unfortunately.
    What you are probably doing wrong is that you are creating three tables with however many rows in each.
    What you need to do is create one html page with your 100 rows in it then copy three blocks of that into
    Three placeholder - the size of the placeholders isn't critical.

I have done a quick example of how to do it below - notice that the first placeholder starts with a <table and the last placeholder closes the </table> which puts all your rows into one table.

You will see the row numbers in the html code and when you view it in a webpage.

If anything is unclear, please just ask.

Pete

Sorry Pete, I'm either being very thick (as well as ignored by Mac Hine, as is Acorn) but what am I missing here?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Sorry Pete, I'm either being very thick (as well as ignored by Mac Hine, as is Acorn) but what am I missing here?
    Egg, you have a Private Message.

Rather than use the html generated source table data, just post the Excel created html file to your server and load this html file into a placeholder. No issues with Excels pagination (A4). The whole htm webpage loads
    Egg