Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help needed filling in .eps vector

Hello,

I’m trying to figure out how to fill a vector imported as a .eps file with a color but struggling to find a simple way. Hoping a XPD guru can help

I sourced a vector leaf design from a stock site which was supplied in .eps format. It imports fine into XPD11 but the inside of each leaf is transparent. I want to fill in the transparent parts with a green colour. The only way I can work out is to draw a square with a green fill and place the leaf on top of this. Then group the two elements and then use the erase function to erase all the green fill outside the leaf outline.

I’m hoping there’s a quicker way to do this? One observation I have seen is that when choosing a fill color and applying it to a leaf, the black lines of the leaf are filled, not the transparent void within the leaf. It seems the lines are treated as "fillable" elements?

I had to upload the original .eps file to my Dropbox as the file size limit for .eps files here is 200kb. The .eps file size is 1.8MB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1trae569qk...eaves.eps?dl=1

Keen for anyone to have play and see if there's a simpler way to fill the inside of a leaf...

Thanks!
    pixel5

Default Re: Help needed filling in .eps vector

What were likely lines at one point have been converted to shapes by the author. I haven't tried opening it in Illustrator but they are probably shapes.

Which means what you see as black are the only parts that can be filled in an Xara application. I think InkScape has a vector fill tool and it isnfree. But depending on how many of these you want/need filled, it only took me a couple minutes to use the method you mentioned. And I have done that before and it works.

Another method is to move a copy of the outside shape away from the main shape, double click on it to obtain the Shape tool and delete all the inner nodes. That also is fairly quick and may suit the workflow better.

Mike

Opened it in Illy. They were made from compound paths, released them, grabbed the outer pieces of the non-edge shapes.

Attached a XAR file. I resized them you'll need to make them larger, etc.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Group every leaf as 1 group
    Put green square at back of a leaf group
    Select both eg square and leaf and press ctrl+4
    after this use arrange>break shapes
    Now you got green parts of your leaves
    select the parts you want to keep in the page&layer gallery
    You might use ctrl+1 to make parts to become 1 shape

Hans

Can I add to Haakoo''s method is that is that all of your file is lines and to use Haakoo's method and if you want your leaf to be coloured internally with green then turn all of your lines into shapes first. All of your design is going to be a bit of work if you want the design to come through as small shapes like the internal ones wont do the process to come through all at one time (if you can follow that). My computer really struggled with Haakoo's instructions and I have loads of memory. So ungroup then select one leaf that you want to process convert line to shape and place a rectangle to the back (watch the layers, make sure it is to the bottom of the leaves stack). Still very fiddly if you want to include your internal part of the design
    Design is thinking made visual.

Peter,

I meant,selecting per layer the objects of one leaf>group it>put square object to back and slice it
    My previous post might seem confusing by saying to select every leaf.

Hans

You geniuses! I ended up using haakoo's method but adding a clone of a leaf on top of the end result.

1. I picked a leaf out of the set I wanted to work on.
    2. Then cloned the leaf.
    3. Followed haakoo's instructions
    4. Dragged away the filled in green square at the end of haakoo's steps, leaving just the leaf filled in green.
    5. Placed the clone taken in step 2 on top of the green filled in leaf shape - attached!!

So happy as I have other .eps sets I need to fill in with different colors. Thanks to all who replied, really appreciate it
    -pixel5
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leaf.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	112427