Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Released: A New Version of Web Designer

regarding hard drive failures..

at present if that happened then the product could still be deactivated, by logging onto your xara account; the licence could then be reactivated on a new/repaired computer

maybe Xara could confirm if that will still be the case and that the updates will be maintained [as it appears they will be if the licence is deactivated from within the program help]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The issue with a future HD failure or even installation on a new computer comes into play following the one-year purchase and not re-upping for the next one-year period. It's not about activation/deactivation.

The application simply reverts back to as it was the day you purchased it, loosing all the content, new features AND bug fixes that came out following, but during, that year following the purchase.

There is no confusion on this point.

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    @ mwenz. tis your choice though. You could, if you prefer, buy the new version now and get the new features mentioned above, and then reject any updates, wait for next year and then buy a new version - at which point you'd get the features we developed in the interim.
    No, the scheme is not so simple as all that. It's a silly straw-man argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    That puts you in the same position as our v11 model...
    Kate, one prime difference between the old scheme and the new one is in regards to bug fixes and/or any new content/features added during a release cycle.

Under the new scheme, once it reverts back to day-one install for any reason, one looses out on any bug fixes that have occurred during the one-year subscription.

Under the old scheme, I could be stranded on a desert island for the next 10 years, be rescued, buy a new computer, reinstall X11 or older, and apply all the bug fixes (and any added content, features) that came out for that particular XDP version. Period.

You do see the differences, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    The issue with a future HD failure or even installation on a new computer comes into play following the one-year purchase and not re-upping for the next one-year period. It's not about activation/deactivation.

The application simply reverts back to as it was the day you purchased it, loosing all the content, new features AND bug fixes that came out following, but during, that year following the purchase.

There is no confusion on this point.
    if that is the case - if a deactivation after the one year period is up, loses all the updates and bug fixes that accumulated during the year - then it really renders ineffective the machine transferablitiy after that year [unless you upgrade again]... hummm

no, I don't like the sound of that at all
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have been out quite a bit and have only had a short time to test drive the new features. There was a comment made about parallax scrolling being on its way out, and while that may or may not be true, there are some really cool new effects that cry out for an inventive designer to use to create the next parallax scrolling.

I like the new control handles on photo images. I'll report back in a few days with more observations.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    No, the scheme is not so simple as all that. It's a silly straw-man argument.

Kate, one prime difference between the old scheme and the new one is in regards to bug fixes and/or any new content/features added during a release cycle.

Under the new scheme, once it reverts back to day-one install for any reason, one looses out on any bug fixes that have occurred during the one-year subscription.

Under the old scheme, I could be stranded on a desert island for the next 10 years, be rescued, buy a new computer, reinstall X11 or older, and apply all the bug fixes (and any added content, features) that came out for that particular XDP version. Period.

You do see the differences, don't you?
    Mike, what I'm wondering is which of the common alternatives you would prefer - the old system (no access to next year's features until next year) or an Adobe-like subscription (get new features as you go along but lose all installed versions completely at the end of 365 days)? We are trying to find a way of offering some of the advantages of subscription without actually making it a subscription, while still making it profitable enough for us to carry on doing anything at all! Now I have a little suspicion that you will not be completely happy with any answer I give, but fyi the reversion will include any bug fixes we've issued for that version.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Christine - You can also copy the spiral from Designer Pro X or WD 11 and paste it into WD 365. Love the new controls. It appears that quite a bit of thought has gone into rethinking the control handles. Much more elegant.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Okay correct me if I'm wrong (I'm trying to understand all this) so if you don't renew the 365 guarantee it's just the additional content of the content catalogue you lose? any bug fixes or new features added into the program its self you would keep?

so a new smart shape you would lose unless you made a local copy but a new feature like a new animation type or a new page transition that is part of the program you would keep it as long as it was released with in your initial 365 days?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

No, I believe you lose everything except for bug fixes, you would probably want to reinstall v11 then

Is there some way of accessing the local gallery files on your hard drive so you can backup the files and then replace them, put them back, if you had to reinstall 365 after your upgrade had ran out?