Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Default Re: Just Released: A New Version of Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    This is probably due to the file association. You probably have your computer to open .web files into XWD11.
    I agree with Egg here, sounds like the most likely reason.
    I wonder if somehow you could use the "open with" or possibly control panel to change the association.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I agree with Mike.. oh yes, and Egg too; file association is likely

and Larry is probably right about 'open with' at least on win 10 - may have to browse to more apps and then down to the program file on the computer

and file association should work in windows 10 too: control panel / programs /make a file type always open in a specific program

and if all else fails you can change it in the registry
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Can't find out how to do it in Xara but XaReg has a feature for checking file associations. I don't know if Steve is going to update it to work with XWD12 though.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

registry key ....options/check associations [unless it's changed from ver 11] - to reset the program prompt on start

if xareg will not do it, then it's a manual edit - although thinking about it you could always run a program installation 'repair' that might well reset it, but might reset other things as well....

but first try the windows routes to cahnge the file association directly - they don't always work, but they should
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi, sorry Mike missed your earlier post.

Not quite sure what you mean by registry key HD?

Here's how to do it on Windows 7. You need to do the same for .xar files.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	set-associations.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	112533  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you all! Most helpful! Susan:-)

hi egg

yes its slightly different in each version of windows

win10 is quite good - win 7 on the other hand could be a problem, as I recall it's to do with the .EXE files for the xara program having the same names for each version...

registry keys - ie what to look for with regedit in the windows registry in order to tell the program to prompt for association when starting up again - I tend not to go into detail because if you don't know what it means you probably shouldn't be doing it ...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the clarification HD. I rarely use regedit.

I know what you mean re Windows 7 but I think this 'same name' issue was in only one iteration of Xara. It's fine now, you can choose any version you require.
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Can't find out how to do it in Xara but XaReg has a feature for checking file associations. I don't know if Steve is going to update it to work with XWD12 though.
    Judging by the last couple of years, anything that exists in v12 which exists in earlier versions will be accessible via XaReg. Any new and unique registry entries will not appear in XaReg.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Cheers John, but XaReg works by selecting the Xara version you want to apply the settings to. And the latest one is Xara11, not 12.
    Egg