Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Released: A New Version of Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by jacobitejake View Post
    Sorry Acorn, just seems as thought it's all gone a little quiet, and I could do with knowing so I know what to spend my money on
    No need to apologise, if it is still an unanswered question, it is legit to ask again.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

(Thought I'd better also post this in here as it's very relevant)

Hi All

Having contacted Xara Customer Services direct, here is finally there response regarding what content comes with 365 and more importantly, what you will have access to if you don't renew and then reinstall.

I've copied in my original questions and their replies which helps to make it clearer.

I must admit though, it's not exactly what it says in their 365 Guarantee info. but hey, I have it in writing now so it's safe to purchase and I can always get back to them if it doesn't work as they have stated it will.

Interesting that Lewis from Xara Customer Services states that the backup CD only contains the programme and not the templates, I thought it was going to contain both? If it is just the programme, then there's no point to the CD as I would think that the majority of users have CD/DVD writers and can, and do, create backups themselves.

So, here's the mail trail.

(Question)
    Could you please confirm the contents of the Backup CD that can be purchased with Web Designer 365. I will be upgrading from version 10 and I am concerned that only the themes will be on the cd which will invariably leave the programme unusable should I fail to renew as from what I understand, if I fail to renew, the online gallery is not available and should I need to reinstall the programme, I will not have access to the navbars, widget and clipart etc. all the content currently in my design gallery in v10. Also, will I continue to have access to my purchased widgets and template packs? Thank you.

(Answer)
    Thanks for your e-mail.

The CD contains the full program version 12.0 - The program then downloads templates etc automatically once you have activated using your serial number.
    Alternatively you can download the program direct from the website. Both routes end up with the same features.

Purchased packs will unlock in the Design Gallery section of the software automatically in the same way as Version 10.

Thanks,
    Lewis
    (Question)
    Thank you Lewis
    Sorry, can I just confirm, will I still have access to the navbars, widgets and clip-art after the 365 renewal date if I have to reinstall it due to new hard drive etc? I can with v10 but I'm not sure if I'll be able to with 365 as if the navbars etc. are only available through the on-line gallery, I believe this will not be accessible if I don't renew? Hope you can clarify this for me please, many thanks.

(Answer)
    Yes, you'll have access to everything you have access to right now.
    The only thing you wouldn't have access to, if you re-installed after the expiry date, is any new updates we release in the upcoming 365 days.

Thanks,
    Lewis

I would think that the majority of users have CD/DVD writers and can, and do, create backups themselves.
    My laptop doesn't even have a CD or DVD!

The only thing you wouldn't have access to, if you re-installed after the expiry date, is any new updates we release in the upcoming 365 days.

Thanks,
    Lewis
    The point is not the new updates but the updates between the release of the CD and the expiry of the 365 licence. What about them?

The reply by Lewis is as anyone would expect. It's what Lewis doesn't say that is contentious. Half way through your subscription let's say Xara releases a table widget and you use it. Your subscription expires, your drive dies and you re-install from CD. What about that table widget? You won't be able to use it without getting the updates..

I am NOT saying Xara will be creating a table widget in the future..
    Last edited by pauland; 19 April 2016 at 01:37 PM.

(Thought I'd better also post this in here as it's very relevant)

Hi All

Having contacted Xara Customer Services direct, here is finally there response regarding what content comes with 365 and more importantly, what you will have access to if you don't renew and then reinstall.

I've copied in my original questions and their replies which helps to make it clearer.

I must admit though, it's not exactly what it says in their 365 Guarantee info. but hey, I have it in writing now so it's safe to purchase and I can always get back to them if it doesn't work as they have stated it will.

Interesting that Lewis from Xara Customer Services states that the backup CD only contains the programme and not the templates, I thought it was going to contain both? If it is just the programme, then there's no point to the CD as I would think that the majority of users have CD/DVD writers and can, and do, create backups themselves.

So, here's the mail trail.

(Question)
    Could you please confirm the contents of the Backup CD that can be purchased with Web Designer 365. I will be upgrading from version 10 and I am concerned that only the themes will be on the cd which will invariably leave the programme unusable should I fail to renew as from what I understand, if I fail to renew, the online gallery is not available and should I need to reinstall the programme, I will not have access to the navbars, widget and clipart etc. all the content currently in my design gallery in v10. Also, will I continue to have access to my purchased widgets and template packs? Thank you.

(Answer)
    Thanks for your e-mail.

The CD contains the full program version 12.0 - The program then downloads templates etc automatically once you have activated using your serial number.
    Alternatively you can download the program direct from the website. Both routes end up with the same features.

Purchased packs will unlock in the Design Gallery section of the software automatically in the same way as Version 10.

Thanks,
    Lewis
    (Question)
    Thank you Lewis
    Sorry, can I just confirm, will I still have access to the navbars, widgets and clip-art after the 365 renewal date if I have to reinstall it due to new hard drive etc? I can with v10 but I'm not sure if I'll be able to with 365 as if the navbars etc. are only available through the on-line gallery, I believe this will not be accessible if I don't renew? Hope you can clarify this for me please, many thanks.

(Answer)
    Yes, you'll have access to everything you have access to right now.

Thanks,
    Lewis
    Lewis is wrong I'm afraid. The back-up CD *does* now include all the templates. Many of you are Designer Pro owners and as usual the DVD will be included in an upgrade and sent automatically. For Web Designer the CD can be added at your option, as usual, but if you don't choose to add it then what I'd recommend is that you make sure you have downloaded the content into your DG and included it in your routine back-ups.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    My laptop doesn't even have a CD or DVD!
    You could always use a usb flash drive or perhaps google drive.

The point is not the new updates but the updates between the release of the CD and the expiry of the 365 licence. What about them?

The reply by Lewis is as anyone would expect. It's what Lewis doesn't say that is contentious. Half way through your subscription let's say Xara releases a table widget and you use it. Your subscription expires, your drive dies and you re-install from CD. What about that table widget? You won't be able to use it without getting the updates..

I am NOT saying Xara will be creating a table widget in the future..
    Patches and bug fixes are a given, but your'e right, any additions to the programmes functionality will not be available when you reinstall if you have chosen not to renew/purchase. As you say, this will be very bad for developers that sell their services, and a bit of a pain for home/hobby users as they will have to keep a note of what has been added during the year, they still may want to use the new features, they just need to be aware of the consequences if they don't upgrade again after 365 days. I suppose you have to just think of it as V12, but with a sneaky peak, and a play, with what's coming for v13. I'm only a hobby user, still using v10, so being able to purchase v12, that will still be complete, even if I don't renew, is a relief, I very nearly purchased a license key for v11, phew

at the moment we have four computers - I am used to putting xdpx11 on any of these four as needed - can only have two at any one time, but can swap at will as long as I deactiveate/reactivate - just not going to able to do that after 365 days if I don't renew am I? - remember the web stuff is irrelevant to us, we just create art..

[I think the question is legit here as the 365 subscription applies to all new xara products and the sooner it is clear the better - right?]
    Last edited by handrawn; 19 April 2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: add stuff
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As long as you download the latest trial version of the program before your subscription ends you should have the program with all the bug fixes and any added features you are entitled to or am I incorrect about this?

Quote Originally Posted by dutchim View Post
    As long as you download the latest trial version of the program before your subscription ends you should have the program with all the bug fixes and any added features you are entitled to or am I incorrect about this?
    Incorrect I'm afraid, just the patches/bug fixes, no additional content that has been added throughout the year. So, there's no need to download before the end of the subscription, if you pull down the programme after it's ended, it'll be the same version number (bug fixed/patched) as the one just before it ended, the only difference being, any new features added throughout the year will be missing.

I'm personally just desperate to know if you can still get hold of the content that's in your Design Gallery, I realise the online gallery won't be available, but does the standard content set of resources, navbars, clipart etc. pop in after you reinstall? I don't seem to be getting any concrete message from xara at the moment.

The only thing I do know for sure now, after the customer services email from a chap called Lewis was corrected by Kate Moir - Adminstrator, is that the cd that you can purchase along with the 365 upgrade, includes all the themes as well as the XWDP version 12 (365).

I think Xara is still considering what to do about the rest of the Design Gallery's content (default set) whether or not to include it on the CD or not, I personally feel that if they don't, and you're unable to access the navbars, page backgrounds, clipart etc. then I'll be purchasing a v11 license key after all.

Can you confirm either way please Xara, thank you.

Incorrect I'm afraid, just the patches/bug fixes, no additional content that has been added throughout the year. So, there's no need to download before the end of the subscription, if you pull down the programme after it's ended, it'll be the same version number (bug fixed/patched) as the one just before it ended, the only difference being, any new features added throughout the year will be missing.

I'm personally just desperate to know if you can still get hold of the content that's in your Design Gallery, I realise the online gallery won't be available, but does the standard content set of resources, navbars, clipart etc. pop in after you reinstall? I don't seem to be getting any concrete message from xara at the moment.

The only thing I do know for sure now, after the customer services email from a chap called Lewis was corrected by Kate Moir - Adminstrator, is that the cd that you can purchase along with the 365 upgrade, includes all the themes as well as the XWDP version 12 (365).

I think Xara is still considering what to do about the rest of the Design Gallery's content (default set) whether or not to include it on the CD or not, I personally feel that if they don't, and you're unable to access the navbars, page backgrounds, clipart etc. then I'll be purchasing a v11 license key after all.

Can you confirm either way please Xara, thank you.
    Sorry for the delay in answering. My fingers were poised over the Y E S keys when I got a message from the DVD mastering team saying there's too much new content, it won't all fit on the DVD. So please bear with me a while longer, I should have a definitive answer on that shortly.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

..they could reduce the content to make it fit?

..or they could remove a program feature to make it smaller, so the content would fit, and then release the feature as an update?

..ducks head..