Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Released: A New Version of Web Designer

My slideshow software includes all updates for 12 months after purchase.
    There's a way based on the version number and purchase date to know what version you can reinstall after the 12 months has passed.
    This is something Xara should look at, since this seems to be a recurring concern in posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Many of my other software products do continuous updates, adding features between major releases. Even Adobe used to do it before their subscription model - they released .5 versions that were free for the full update purchaser (if my memory serves me right though, their release cycle was longer than a year though - 2 years perhaps).

Last year I purchased some software at version 3.0. There have been steady releases, we are now at 3.7. and all purchasers had the opportunity to download betas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ View Post
    My slideshow software includes all updates for 12 months after purchase.
    There's a way based on the version number and purchase date to know what version you can reinstall after the 12 months has passed.
    This is something Xara should look at, since this seems to be a recurring concern in posts here.

^^^ is exactly right and why people are so angry over Xara's new proposal.

I actually have a photo/slideshow program that came with a 1 year upgrade guarantee. In that 1 year I am entitled to any and all version updates and new content( like templates ). After the year I would have to buy the newest version again which gives me another year to get updated versions and content. Bug fixes and patches are guaranteed for as long as they support that version.

Once I download a new version and register it my account is updated as to where I am at version wise. So, if 2 years down the road I have not chosen to purchase the program again, and I get a new computer or have a hardware issue and have to reload everything, I can downloads the last version of the software I had to install. I am not reverted back to the original version. I also am allowed to download all content that was associated with that software version. I know this because I actually did have a crash just a couple months back and had to do it. I was able to download the last version of the software I had( wasn't the most current )and all the content I had. I was about 2-3 months out of the 1 year period.

That is how it should be with Xara too. Anything we are able to download and use within that 1 year should be ours permanently. To me this is just an attempt to increase profit at our expense and I won't be falling for it. I also could care less about getting next year's stuff early. Either give it to me for real or wait for the next release of the software. If Xara really wants to capitalize on a new feature then offer it as a stand alone purchase we can buy( and have permanent access to )until it is added to the next year's version.

This new proposal will drive people away. I was considering upgrading as I am only at WD10. I only do it every couple years as I don't do enough website work to need to update every year. I figured I would do the next one out. Not now. No chance. I am not interested in renting software.

This is a horrendous idea similar to what Xbox proposed. Microsoft was wise enough to see it was a loser. Hope Xara figures it out too.
    WD10 Premium
    Photo & Graphic Designer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by gsthunder View Post
    ^^^ is exactly right and why people are so angry over Xara's new proposal.

Either give it to me for real or wait for the next release of the software.
    My thought exactly. If you want to let me look at previews - and give me an opportunity buy them - that's fine. But when I pay for software and one year of updates, let me keep it. I don't have time to keep track of what I get to continue to use, and what you are going to take back.

If I have the latest version of Designer Pro, do I need this latest release of Web Designer?

Hi dkgodfrey. No. Designer Pro is the last version of Xara's programs to be updated so I suggest you hold fire for 6 to 8 weeks.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    My thought exactly. If you want to let me look at previews - and give me an opportunity buy them - that's fine. But when I pay for software and one year of updates, let me keep it. I don't have time to keep track of what I get to continue to use, and what you are going to take back.
    and for gsthunder also. Don't forget that the new version has a lot of new features, you can read about them on our site at http://www.xara.com/web-designer/whats-new/. If you purchase a copy now you get a perpetual license to this version of the software including these new features. What you also now get is access to new features that are released over the next 365 days, which you can think of as 'next year's features', plus 365 days access to the online services (M hosting, the Online Content Catalog and Online Designer). Note we don't actually delete the updates from any installations that you have when the 365 days expire, but they won't be in any new installations. new installations will fall back to whatever the version was at the time you purchased, so currently 12.0.0. But if you are not comfortable with that then you can still buy the new version, get the current new features and reject the updates - then in a year's time decide as usual whether you want to buy an upgrade to the next version, which will get you a new perpetual license to that version.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by gsthunder View Post
    That is how it should be with Xara too. Anything we are able to download and use within that 1 year should be ours permanently. To me this is just an attempt to increase profit at our expense and I won't be falling for it. I also could care less about getting next year's stuff early. Either give it to me for real or wait for the next release of the software. If Xara really wants to capitalize on a new feature then offer it as a stand alone purchase we can buy( and have permanent access to )until it is added to the next year's version.

This new proposal will drive people away. I was considering upgrading as I am only at WD10. I only do it every couple years as I don't do enough website work to need to update every year. I figured I would do the next one out. Not now. No chance. I am not interested in renting software.

This is a horrendous idea similar to what Xbox proposed. Microsoft was wise enough to see it was a loser. Hope Xara figures it out too.
    Jumping in here to agree with gsthunder. I skipped the last update and was considering updating with this new version, but not now. If our update/purchase price gives us a license that entitles us to all updates for 1 year, that entitlement should not change if we have a hard drive failure. Let us restore/download all updates that we had access to during that year. Or else reduce the original update cost and allow us to purchase (for keeps) any new features. One thing that isn't being mentioned is how many and what kinds of new features might be planned. All we hear is "there will be updates and new features". It's not exactly fair to expect users to agree to this new arrangement without having some idea what new features will be included. For all we know, some of these new features might be something we might not be interested in.

RedBopete - what I'd recommend to someone in your position is to take a look at all the new features in 365, which you can find here http://www.xara.com/web-designer/whats-new/ - and in your case what was new in v11 also, which you can find here http://www.xara.com/web-designer/whats-new/older/, and then consider whether you think it is worth the upgrade cost or not. Everyone is different and puts a different value on specific features, but personally I think we've added a lot of new features in the last couple of years that make the upgrade worth it. If you don't agree then wait until you see something new that persuades you, because remember under 365 whenever you purchase you get a perpetual license to whatever is the current version of the program. And if you are not comfortable with the conditions attaching the access to 365 updates that come after purchase, you could reject the updates and take a look again a year later and consider whether you want to upgrade again.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    and for gsthunder also. Don't forget that the new version has a lot of new features, you can read about them on our site at http://www.xara.com/web-designer/whats-new/. If you purchase a copy now you get a perpetual license to this version of the software including these new features. What you also now get is access to new features that are released over the next 365 days, which you can think of as 'next year's features', plus 365 days access to the online services (M hosting, the Online Content Catalog and Online Designer). Note we don't actually delete the updates from any installations that you have when the 365 days expire, but they won't be in any new installations. new installations will fall back to whatever the version was at the time you purchased, so currently 12.0.0. But if you are not comfortable with that then you can still buy the new version, get the current new features and reject the updates - then in a year's time decide as usual whether you want to buy an upgrade to the next version, which will get you a new perpetual license to that version.

You keep saying we will get all this neat stuff and early new features and the like but in reality you are just leasing it to us for a year. If we want to keep it we have to renew the lease or you take it back. Sorry, but you can present it any way you want but as the saying goes you can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it is still a pig.

Give us a package deal and when purchased what we have is what we have. Put as many new features and goodies in it as you want. Make it so we can reload it at anytime we need without losing anything. Save your new features and updates that come out in between releases for future releases or sell them as stand alone until the next release comes out and they are added to it. Allowing access to them and then taking them away if we don't buy next year's version is wrong!

In effect what you( Xara )are trying to do is manipulate everyone into buying the new release every year. I am not taking the bait. Sorry. I love Xara stuff and use it all the time but I am not getting suckered into this money trap. No way no how.
    WD10 Premium
    Photo & Graphic Designer 2013

Just a simple question...

With version 11 and older you download the latest version 11.x.x when you buy it. The version changes depending when you get it. Now versus let's say December.

Under the 365 version will I be downloading version 12.0.0 regardless when I buy it throughout the year... With the updates/bug fixes only send to me after I install it?