Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Released: A New Version of Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by MarcT View Post
    Mmmh, it could be considered as a beta access of the next version?
    Marc
    Marc, until you lose the functionality you though you bought. The updates are an alpha test as there will have been no beta testers before you get to see it.
    Xara is passing its testing out to you, unlike all previous versions.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have some non-xara software where they publicly make available beta versions before final release. It's a system that really works well.

Nobody has to use a beta, but by the time they make them available they are pretty good - put it this way I never had cause to regret running their beta software.

The comments about Xara letting the end-users test their software is rather unkind and to a degree unfounded. I hardly imagine that Xara won't be testing it to some degree first.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ae you saying they are not held in the same place as version 11?

for example, for designer pro verson 11 you could try looking in:

......AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\11\Cache\......

where AppData is a hidden file in your user name folder on your system disk

but I am not sure if this is what you mean as I don't use them - plus I do not know if, having saved them, it is then a simple matter to re-install them offline
    Yes, the "content" is still in
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Xara\WebDesignerPremiu m\12\Cache\designs\eng
    To access, you may have to go to your Windows Explorer settings and unhide the folders (In W10, View: tick Hidden items).
    Tip: in the Explorer navigation type %appdata% and come up one folder and open Local > Xara > ... as pathed above.
    Save the Cache to elsewhere or DVD.

To re-install, from Xara, pick Local Designs gallery > More... > Add designs from disc... or click the Disc designs... button.
    Navigate back to ..\AppData\Local\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\12\Cache\ designs\eng\...and select the required design folder.

You should get a green folder icon, a dreadful path for its name and your "content".

This approach has always been around and I have used it to uplift some earlier versions with the possibility that newer content might not work.
    It serves a different purpose now.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Smile Re: Just Released: A New Version of Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Yes, the "content" is still in
    To access, you may have to go to your Windows Explorer settings and unhide the folders (In W10, View: tick Hidden items).
    Tip: in the Explorer navigation type %appdata% and come up one folder and open Local > Xara > ... as pathed above.
    Save the Cache to elsewhere or DVD.

To re-install, from Xara, pick Local Designs gallery > More... > Add designs from disc... or click the Disc designs... button.
    Navigate back to ..\AppData\Local\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\12\Cache\ designs\eng\...and select the required design folder.

You should get a green folder icon, a dreadful path for its name and your "content".

This approach has always been around and I have used it to uplift some earlier versions with the possibility that newer content might not work.
    It serves a different purpose now.

Acorn
    Many thanks Handrawn and Acorn, very much appreciated and exactly what I was after, cheers

Thanks acorn for confirmation and the reinstall info

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post

The comments about Xara letting the end-users test their software is rather unkind and to a degree unfounded. I hardly imagine that Xara won't be testing it to some degree first.
    well looking at acorn's current rolling bug list, I think he may have a point...

xara have always tested to some degree, the question is how much... and how much reliance is placed on the guys here, some of whom may drift away under the 365 model...

I too run beta software
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I have some non-xara software where they publicly make available beta versions before final release. It's a system that really works well.

Nobody has to use a beta, but by the time they make them available they are pretty good - put it this way I never had cause to regret running .
    That's exactly the experience I have with another software
    Production ready-features that are rolled out trough the cycle.

You can the judge by yourself afterward if you can live without those features.

Maybe because this software rely more on templates, this change some aspects of this proposition.

Marc

Love many of the new features in Xara 365! Thrilled with it!

Big Bug Issues:
    1) there is no longer a widget to embed another website, such as a blog, as there was in Xara 11... MUST HAVE my clients want this feature!

2) New sites still want to save as Xara 11 sites... can't close new Xara 365 site or they turn into Xara 11 files

Please help! Susan in Belfast, Maine

#2. What do you actually mean they are version 11 sites?

If by that you mean that you also still have version 11 installed and double clicking on a saved file it will open in version 11, that is a file association issue.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by HighStreet View Post
    Love many of the new features in Xara 365! Thrilled with it!

Big Bug Issues:
    1) there is no longer a widget to embed another website, such as a blog, as there was in Xara 11... MUST HAVE my clients want this feature!

2) New sites still want to save as Xara 11 sites... can't close new Xara 365 site or they turn into Xara 11 files

Please help! Susan in Belfast, Maine
    For 1), you have identified the bigger error of Xara removing the Find.. for the resource you need from the application.
    The "Embed a website" widget is still there. Either Local Designs gallery > Components > Other Components: "Embed a website" widget; or, Ctrl+Shift+Alt+K > Search 'Embed' in All.

Acorn

This is probably due to the file association. You probably have your computer to open .web files into XWD11.

There is a pop-up window when you first open a new version of Xara that states "Do you want .web files to be associated with this version?" (Or something similar) There's also a check box saying "Check this every time the program starts" which you may have unticked. So it no longer shows.

I can't find how to re-activate this check for now, but I'll keep looking
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host