Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moving pages to subdirectories

I want to consolidate parts of a website within sub-directories so that a user can access a group of pages by naming the sub-directory in the URL.

For example. the landing page for tools would entered as

www.domain-name.com/tools

and the file would reside in a sub-directory

site-directory/tools

and the html file would be

site-directory/tools/index.html

I don't see how to enter this on the page tab of the web properties dialog as it does not allow for the slash (/) character. How do I accomplish this?

Default Re: Moving pages to subdirectories

I think I just answered this for another member.

Double click on the nav bar to open the Navigation Bar Properties menu.

Delete the pages you do not want to appear on the nav bar. (This only deletes the buttons, not the actual pages)

Click the + next to the page that you want to add sub pages to.

The double click where it says to double click and select the page you want.

Repeat this to add more pages.

These pages will appear in a sub menu.

I am not talking about the MENU structure. I am referring to the directory/file structure.

I want a user to be able to enter

www,domain-name.com/tools

instead of www.domain.name.com/tools/index.html

The main landing page for the site is, of course:

www.domain-name.com/index.html

Ron,

Think of your file structure as several mini-sites. So you'd have your landing page in the root. Now create a new Xara generated site and publish it to a sub-folder 'tools'. Another site & publish it to a subfolder 'services' etc, etc.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You still end up with the index.htm or html at the end though don't you? I broke down a site in the way you have said but I still have the index.htm at the end

You can do, there's no problem with that. The OP in fact wanted it this way. However, on exporting/publishing a site you aren't forced to use use 'index.htm' you can name the site name anything you desire, but it's generally good practice to do so.

You can have multiple sub-folders all containing an index.htm file. They are all different files, even though they have the same name
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file-structure.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	112362  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg. I have sub-folders like you show. In each sub-folder is an index.htm page. This then shows up in the url but I am not bothered about this. Are you then saying that it is not necessary to have an index page in each sub-directory? WD11 says that the first page should be called index so I left it like this. The only drawback with splitting the site up into mini-sites like this, is that each time you want to add to the navigation bar on the 'landing page', you than have to go through each mini-site and change the nav. bar to match. Sorry to Ron if it seems I have hi-jacked his thread.

Yes, but your URL does not have to include index.html in the address. The browser automatically looks for an index page and when it finds the index file it loads it.

But the page has to be named something.

You are asking for a page to load without a page name. I am not sure if that is possible, or even desirable.

Sorry Gary but are you replying to me or Ron?

That is what I understood Gary, that there must be an index page in each mini-site.

Sorry. I read too quickly. But my comment above applies to you comment as well. An index file in a folder, e.g. mysite.com/folder/index.html will have an URL mysite.com/folder