Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XDPX9 and Surface Pro 4

I just purchased a Surface Pro 4/Windows 10 and wondered if the pen/stylus is supported in XDPX9? I haven't installed it yet and may not if the pen is not supported. Thanks.

Bob

Default Re: XDPX9 and Surface Pro 4

Best ask support for info re this Bob.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, Egg. I noticed that there were a lot of views of my question, but no responses. I guess that no one has tried this combination. I have never used a stylus before and was curious.

Bob

I suspect that is true Bob. Let's know the result if you do try it.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Please try the latest version, NOT XDPX9!

Phil

Well, according to the fast response from 'support', it should work and if not then there are a couple of registry hacks that can be made. (This is not their exact words as I paraphrased a little - I'm on a different computer right now. They didn't say what registry hacks so I may have to get back to them.) When I get a chance I will install it and let you know. Thanks again.

Have a look at these articles:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...g-Does-it-work
    and
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...%28Xara-DP-X10

The surface has an nTrig stylus. Out of the box it won't work. You have to disable touch support in Xara (use the latest XaReg) and you have to have the WinTab driver for nTrig installed. (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=49498)

In the end I had the gear working after installing Adobe Illustrator. You're mileage may very but it should work.

As to PhilM's suggestion; it's utter crap. XDP9 is as good as XDP11 except for some brushes which should have been in the older versions (if Xara had listened to it's dear customers...). Off course; the newer versions offer some improvements but for plain drawing XDP will do all-right

Thank you Michael for your excellent advice. When I get the chance, I will definitely give it a try...might be a couple of weeks before I get around to it but I will post my results if I do try to install it.

Bob

Michael and Bob,

Information about versions of XDP prior to V11 has become out of date. V11 was upgraded to support the new Windows "unified pointer" API that replaces WinTab in Windows 8 and Windows 10. The nTrig stylus supplies data to applications through that new API.

On the Surface Pro 3 (and I assume the Surface Pro 4 is no different) there is no need to install WinTab and there is no need to change any registry settings, despite what our support Dept might say. XDPX11 will get pressure from the stylus straight out of the box.

@Michael: Your experience may be different but I suggest your problem is specific to your setup.

Phil

Bob,

It's a very odd decision to lay out big bucks on a microsoft tablet and then go ahead and try and get old software to work.

Time to upgrade, I think.

Paul