Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Website Variant Work Flow

I'm looking for feedback on other's work flow for creating variants. I've created 3 or 4 website designs with a mobile variant now but I find the way I'm doing it to be frustrating. Inevitably I make a change to the mobile version of the site only to realize I screwed up the desktop design way to late to easily undo it.

My issue is primarily with fonts. I know this can be resolved by assigning styles to all the fonts before creating the variant, but sometimes I forget to do this or miss a button/caption/section/mouseover/etc. Doesn't it make sense for Xara to just automatically create a subset of styles for the website variant that doesn't affect the original?

My work flow now is to create a new variant, select all the objects and click "Stop Sharing with Variants". Although this loses the benefit of updating text across variants, the benefit of not screwing up the desktop version far out-ways this for me.

Am I missing something or does anyone have any thoughts/tips?

Default Re: Website Variant Work Flow

I recommend that you start with the largest size then work your way down and to use font styles meticulously.

I know this can be resolved by assigning styles to all the fonts before creating the variant, but sometimes I forget to do this or miss a button/caption/section/mouseover/etc
    You can change assests of any font styles in either the desktop and or mobile version.

For example, if you select part of a text block, say it's Normal text style, change it's font size, colour, alignment etc the text dropdown shows 'Normal text +' (note the + sign).

Select the dropbox & choose Update 'Normal text' in this variant.

This will mean that the Style 'Normal text' can be 12pt on the desktop and 20pt on the mobile version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	this-variant.png 
Views:	304 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	112187  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you, Egg, for the simple explanation on styles within variants.