Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Is it possible to make pop-up layer push away other objects?

Dear all,

I am currently building a website using Xara Web Designer 11 premium and am loving the experience so far. I am trying something specific for which I hope you can help me.

I have a website consisting of multiple sections below each other. Each is set to 'push' the others. Works perfectly. Now I want to make each of the sections clickable, such that extra sections appear in-between this section and the next.. And then, if you click the section again, the extra sections disappear.

I can make a popup-layer appear, but it is:
    - Either on top of the other sessions (i.e., not pushing other objects).
    - Filling up an empty space I already left before hand.

What I instead want is:
    - No space in-between the two sessions originally
    - And when it appears, the pop-up layer pushing away the other sessions.

Is this possible? If so, how should I go about this? I am familiar with HTML5, Javascript and CSS, so also open to programming solutions if that's necessary.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Frank

Default Re: Is it possible to make pop-up layer push away other objects?

At least that would not be easy. Would have to do some testing. My idea would be to use a vertical supersite with only one of these sections per page and to enlarge the surrounding page element when enabling the extra section.
    Sorry, a little short of time at the moment...

Got a first shot. Have a look at the example. I guess some more testing will be needed...
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would say that the answer to your question is no. Layers by their nature are stacked i.e. each new layer you add sits on top of the previous layer and whilst you can have multiple layers on a webpage, you can't have a layer within a layer.

I'm not clear on what you mean by your expression 'sessions' and 'sections' are these just blocks of text?

What you are asking for may be possible by using placeholders and html or css code but not with layers.

Frank, here's a straight Xara approach: Scared Layers.web

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

While both of these approaches work, I am not sure if any of these adds anything to the ease of navigating the website.

IMHO simple and direct is always better.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    While both of these approaches work, I am not sure if any of these adds anything to the ease of navigating the website.
    IMHO simple and direct is always better.
    Gary, all this is is a vertical accordion; an approach used on so many sites you would gnash and wail if it were not possible.

I normally do this using jQuery but all code comes with a cost so I prefer developing native Xara approaches as a back-fill.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

(I did say IMHO didn't I?)

Nice solution Acorn. Is there a quick way to align all those elliptical fills to the same position?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    (I did say IMHO didn't I?)
    Gary, all i was trying to point out is that a vertical Accordion is not a navigation aid, though a horizontal one might be.
    For most TGers, YHO is Gospel,
    Acorn